Is bipolar cap good for power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You would need to look up the specs for the caps and see if such things as E.S.R. and ripple current ratings were a match for a modern standard electrolytic.

(My instincts tell me they would be very inferior.... but look them up and make your own decision:))

Mcap

I have some Mcap 47uF and 100uF bipolar caps that I can't even remember when did I buy them. Problem of me is when I went into a parts shop, I like to buy whatever I "think" they are useful - Just like a kid walks into candyland. This holds true when I see partsconnexion is on sale. I have lots of parts sitting in my drawer that are brand new.

Attachments

• Mcap.JPG
    Mcap.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 264
I have some Mcap 47uF and 100uF bipolar caps that I can't even remember when did I buy them. Problem of me is when I went into a parts shop, I like to buy whatever I "think" they are useful - Just like a kid walks into candyland. This holds true when I see partsconnexion is on sale. I have lots of parts sitting in my drawer that are brand new.

Is just wonder why this cap is that huge for just a 100 µF/50 Vdc lytic.
I also don't see any "bipolar", "non-polar" or similar printing.

Film cap vs electrolyte cap

The cap in the picture is 100uF 550V made by Mundorf.

Now I understand it is a film cap. Where should it be used in a power supply? As the first or the last cap in the B+ circuit?

I also have some Red bi-polar caps made by Blackgate. What made are they? What are they good for? Where should the best place to use them in a tube amplifier circuit?

Other than the Red bi-polar caps, I also have some black Blackgate electrolyte caps. How would they compare to the red bi-polar caps when being used at the cathode of tube?

Blackgates were manufactured by Rubycon for JelMax, as I recall. They are no longer manufactured. At one time they were considered the 'best' electrolytic caps, and often priced accordingly (the higher the voltage, the higher the price, usually). I made sparing use of the bipolar caps in solid state amps as part of the feedback circuit; have since substituted Nichicon bipolars using at least a 25 volt rating or higher. Also used polar caps for bypassing/local decoupling in my Hafler SE-100 preamp and several of my Leach amplifiers for the input stage bypassing.

Supposedly a Blackgate 'replacement' capacitor line is being developed by someone, at an even higher range of prices. I doubt I will ever use them, I consider the Nichicon 'audio grade' capacitors to be more than adequate and a lot more affordable.

Beware of 'Blackgate' caps being offered on eBay and elsewhere; they are usually counterfeit.

I found some high voltage bipolar caps in my drawers (47uF 400V MCap). Are they good for power supply and where should be the best location for it?

My cylindrical tubecaps look different: 47/600 and no screw terminals. Perhaps they sound different too.

Used in a PS as a first cap following an input choke they are a bit thin in the bass. Overall i much prefer the Mlytic HV+.

If you like the rectangular tubecaps and do not insist on the gold lettering look at the F&T caps which for all intents and purposes appear identical.

Blackgates were manufactured by Rubycon for JelMax, as I recall. They are no longer manufactured. At one time they were considered the 'best' electrolytic caps, and often priced accordingly (the higher the voltage, the higher the price, usually). I made sparing use of the bipolar caps in solid state amps as part of the feedback circuit; have since substituted Nichicon bipolars using at least a 25 volt rating or higher. Also used polar caps for bypassing/local decoupling in my Hafler SE-100 preamp and several of my Leach amplifiers for the input stage bypassing.

Supposedly a Blackgate 'replacement' capacitor line is being developed by someone, at an even higher range of prices. I doubt I will ever use them, I consider the Nichicon 'audio grade' capacitors to be more than adequate and a lot more affordable.

Beware of 'Blackgate' caps being offered on eBay and elsewhere; they are usually counterfeit.

Thanks for your input. All my Blackgates were purchased from Partsconnexion at least 10 years ago that I trust they should be real.

What are the audio grade Nichicon that you are using? I am planning to build a tube preamp and is at the stage of choosing capacitors. I am thinking of Nichicon KX (or LKX) or Vishay BC MAL215946101E3 for power supply and also intended to use my Blackgate bi-polar as cathode caps. I saw some articles saying Nichicon KX are being used by a lot of HiFi manufacturers while Vishay has the very best mid and high. I have already made my prototype using some old components (Nichicon GU capacitors) and the sound is very good and balance overall.

What should I choose as the power cap?
Can anyone give me their experience between Nichicon KX and Vishay BC?

Last edited:
My cylindrical tubecaps look different: 47/600 and no screw terminals. Perhaps they sound different too.

Used in a PS as a first cap following an input choke they are a bit thin in the bass. Overall i much prefer the Mlytic HV+.

If you like the rectangular tubecaps and do not insist on the gold lettering look at the F&T caps which for all intents and purposes appear identical.

This tubecap sounds thin in bass? I always though film cap has a neutral sound. What do you suggest as the first B+ after choke? I have some Jensen 47+47uF too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.