www.cattylink.com & other hong kong shops - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 14th January 2004, 03:10 PM   #1
madsun is offline madsun  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default www.cattylink.com & other hong kong shops

Hi
Has anyone used www.cattylink.com ? They sell Chines hi-fi (shengya, shanling, opera etc) at amazing prices, but can this kind of firm be trusted?
Opinions, experiences etc wanted!
Links to other Hong Kong based firms wanted

Cheers
~madsun

Old 14th January 2004, 04:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
My only comments is that they are able to make some amazing and good looking stuff over there like Classic

Old 14th January 2004, 04:47 PM   #3
madsun is offline madsun  Norway
diyAudio Member

hehe, thats true i wanna import audio equiment from hong kong to norway, so gotta figure out how safe this is..

Old 15th January 2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Thror is offline Thror  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Thror
Hi
I've mailed them about confidence and got this in the answer:

REGARDING THE MATTER OF CONFIDENCE, WE ARE A FORMAL COMPANY SET UP IN THE LEGAL WAY AND NOT JUST A WEB SITE WITHOUT GUARANTEE. IN ADDITION, WE ARE INVITED TO JOIN THE FAMOUS “FEDERATION OF HONG KONG INDUSTRIES”. WE THINK THAT THIS MAY CONFER HIGHER CONFIDENCE ON YOU.

I'm also thinking about buying some electronics from them, but knowing that it is a serious firm would be nice..
Anyone ever ordered something from them?

Old 18th March 2005, 05:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Did you get anything?

Was it ok (I'm going to HK soon)?

Lots of great gear there alright!

Old 2nd April 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default CHINESE HIFI

Quote:
Originally posted by rick57
Did you get anything?

Was it ok (I'm going to HK soon)?

Lots of great gear there alright!
Hello everybody,

I found a website called Ornec (www.ornec.com)
They also sell at good pricing, but as everybody wants to know... ...are the trustworthy!
I thought I would best found out by ordering a pair of cheap 29 pounds sterling interconnects.
When I ordered those, they said they are sold out (although they are still on the webpage)
By now I ordered a hifi-rack and I am in the waiting period.........

You all will here from me when it arrives.

greetings,

Henry

Old 4th April 2005, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello to you all!!!
I have some sad sad news.

Both Cayin and Shanling state on their own website that every sale on the internet from their brands is FAKE or OUTDATED and WITHOUT WARRANTY!!!

By this statements it is obvious that we are NOT to buy ANYTHING at websites such as CATTYLINK, nor ORNEC!!!

BE WARNED!!!

Henry

Old 4th April 2005, 09:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Henry

Hopefully you won’t need a on a warranty claim on a hifi-rack!
I haven’t yet seen the warranty disclaimer – do you have a link?

The prices are in GBP (& one phone no) – it appears the business is not in HK, but UK ?

Cheers

Old 15th April 2005, 08:25 PM   #9
fi3nd is offline fi3nd  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Henry van der B his is EMMA from Ornec please do not worry Ornec.com is part of the Knoxed Group that is registered in United Kingdom. As for the Cable yes there was a problem, we realized that the item was not in stock and selling a cable and sending it from china using DHL for 29GBP was not worth it so we changed the minimum order for free shipping to 49.99 GBP. As for the warranty and fake items, that's all crap I mean shanling and cayin have done this so hi fi fans do not purchase item from China. So you should pay premium price for the items. We do provide Warranty but item needs to be sent back to china so the warranty can be covered. Some times that's not economical. remember are prices are 1/3 or 1/2 or the retail prices. As for the prices in GBP that's only for small orders. When you want to have a group buy the prices will change drastically. Remember Final price equals cost of goods + shipping. Many companies give you low prices for the goods and charge you double for shipping. Recently we secured a group buy from the french that surely says a lot about us. Please if you have any problem let us know.

Old 15th April 2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I don't know much about this stuff, but it is well known that many brand names are merely added to existing products from China. So it is very possible that you can get the same product for a lot less in China without the brand name.

As far as products with a known brand name- these are sometimes not supported by that brand if they can be determined to be imported through alternate channels. The problem is that the official importer has the costs of establishing his name through hiring reps, and advertising, and also the responsibility of servicing any warrantee on the item. It is unfair to expect the importer, who is probably not part of the manufacturing company, to support items that he has made no profit on. In this case your only warrantee would be whatever the company in China that sold it to you will give..

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!