Looking for tiny (mobile phone / computer) speakers, used / new - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2014, 01:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for tiny (mobile phone / computer) speakers, used / new

I am planning a project involving several tiny / small footprint speakers such as those found in mobile phones as hands free loud speakers (e.g. Knowles :: Dynamic speakers)

Devices can be used or new but need to be functional and with reasonable sound quality.

Anyone got a clue where to source for reasonable price? Anyone got some spare?
Old 12th August 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

EBay has the 28mm drivers used in a commercial speaker by HK, but I'm not going to post the link. Got my butt kicked once. You can search for it using the term 'full range', try both with and without the space.

I own the original product and it's all right, except for a deep null at 5khz.
Old 12th August 2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know about where you are, but in the USA, for something like that, if I needed an amount of them, I would check with the surplus electronics suppliers. And if I just wanted a few I might go to the local Dollar Store - or similar cheap goods store - and find some VERY inexpensive toy that included a speaker, and strip it for the part.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks folks, these are good hints.
Sangram, I will check ebay for that. Cheers.

Enzo: regarding stripping cheap toys, that's a good idea, but, if possible I would like to have some decent sound quality over the audible frequency range. Now I dont know how the parts compare between mobile phones and toys but some modern eletronics do sound surprising well and loud despite their size.
Old 13th August 2014, 03:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found a speaker about 3/4 inch diameter inside a squawking fridge magnet. These would be cheap to buy just for the tiny speaker.
If it were in a reasonable case it would be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1300.JPG (108.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 13th August 2014, 06:28 PM   #6
rif is offline rif  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out parts express for something called an exciter. I have no experience with them but from the description it seems to fit your needs. They're cheap, $2-3, and descriptions says they're used in computers and other devices.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are these any good? Sub Miniature PCB Loudspeakers, cheap at least
Surplectronics
I suspect given the supposed use (pagers) they are really buzzers / transducers rather than loudspeakers.

Last edited by Spiny; 13th August 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Info on part
Old 14th August 2014, 02:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks all, these are great tips. I am looking not necessarily for the cheapest component but for speakers with a decent sound quality and spectrum coverage something like an iphone loud speaker (the membrane speakers located at the back or bottom of phones) rather than earpiece speakers. They produce a reasonable sound quality and surprising volume. I dont know how any of those compare with the items described above.

Hide this!Advertise here!