Headphone volume pot circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I need some advice on building a headphone volume circuit. I've had a go at it but I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

It will be used in radio/recording studios fixed to desks to allow presenters/vo artists to adjust the volume headphone level individually.

So it will go - Headphone amp - Pot - jack headphone port - headphones.

We use a Berhinger HA8000 Headphone amp - which has 100omhs output.

I've tried connecting various dual gang 47k log pots but as it is turned - the last 10% makes a very noticeable jump in volume.

Am I using the right pot? do I need to ad an extra resistor?

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The way to do it is to put the pot before the amplifier input, not on the output. Just look at your numbers... a 47000 ohm pot feeding headphones which are relatively low impedance. To do it your way would need a pot of around 10 to 100 ohms... not practical and not available.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They are headphone amplifiers that would normally take a line level signal as an input.

The volume control acts on that line signal rather than on the output, which is the normal way of doing things. Just like an ordinary domestic hifi amp, the volume control adjusts the signal fed to the power amplifier stage. You never normally fit a volume control after the power stage that drives the speaker/headphone. There are two reasons for that. One is efficiency, particularly with speakers where the excess voltage lost in the control has to be dissipated as heat. Secondly, speakers (and to a lesser extent headphones) like to see a low output impedance driving them. Adding a resistance alters the characteristics of the driver and the response becomes uneven because the "impedance" of the speaker (headphones) isn't constant with frequency.

With headphones the power and heat bit is negligible. The non linear response would be a problem for audiophiles... so how accurate and transparent has this volume control to be ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wired like this with the phones connected between the wiper and ground, not with the pot in series.

That's me done for today :)

Attachments

• Pot.png
    Pot.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.