Best budget resistor for gainclone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2014, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best budget resistor for gainclone?

Hello!

I am about to start my second and third amplifier builds, an lm3875 and lm4780 from Audiosector. I already have the PCBs, and decided to get my own components as opposed to the kit, because I think it's part of the fun of building!

My question is, what do you all recommend here for resistors, with a budget in mind? I really don't even know what tolerance is appropriate, if I can get away with 5%, or if I should use 1%. I have been looking at Vishay's offerings, and they seem to be the top choice, but all the different series are starting to get confusing!

So, what would you recommend for these circuits in the $1 to $2 range, or less? Also, I'd prefer it be a series stocked at mouser or digi-key.

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2014, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's what I usually use: http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

Mike
Old 19th May 2014, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bean View Post
Here's what I usually use: Invalid Request

Mike
Those are actually what I used in my first amp! Beginners luck I guess, because they were just a random, uneducated pick at the time. They seem to work well, and it's good to know a good option isn't very expensive. How do they compare to something such as Philips/Vishay BC MRS25 resistors? Would I notice a difference, for better or worse? IDK why, but those Vishay's just really appeal to me...
Old 19th May 2014, 04:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

IMHO the Yeago's are 1% - 100ppm, just fine for most line level audio applications. If you need resistors with tighter tolerance or lower noise, they have those too, at higher prices of course. Some members here will claim that ferrous materials, which these do have, will irreparably harm the sound, but unless you're building giga-Hertz audio gear, I don't think it's an issue. (Now I've done it...time to put on the flame retardant suit ) I've used both and don't see any reason to spend more than necessary.

Mike
Old 19th May 2014, 04:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IMHO the Yeago's are 1% - 100ppm, just fine for most line level audio applications. If you need resistors with tighter tolerance or lower noise, they have those too, at higher prices of course. Some members here will claim that ferrous materials, which these do have, will irreparably harm the sound, but unless you're building giga-Hertz audio gear, I don't think it's an issue. (Now I've done it...time to put on the flame retardant suit ) I've used both and don't see any reason to spend more than necessary.

Mike
Awesome, thanks for the reply, its nice to get some good information that isn't way beyond my knowledge level. Looks like I'll be ordering some Yeago's.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's what I usually use: Invalid Request

Mike
I didn't notice earlier, but those aren't available in 1/2 watt. Do you have any 1/2 watt recommendations?
Old 20th May 2014, 12:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

They have these, same specs - 1/2 watt: Invalid Request

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!