Best suited drivers for old Danish voigt horn design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,

We are constructing a festival speaker set to bring to Roskilde Festival 2014.
We are extreme novices, but after a whole day of research, this is our creative, slightly unconventional, design.

It include 2 TQWTs, based off of Dennis Stensgaard's variation of the Minihorn from the Danish magazine, High Fidelity, some time in the 1970's.

This it the original 1970's design:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is Stensgaard's eventual remake: (He moves the driver to the end, enabling him to lay the speaker down, rather than having it stand up, and avoiding the bass to disappear upwards)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

We want, first of all, to know which drivers to use for this.
So far, we have been recommend to use 6.5"s with a QTS > 3

The idea is that the bass will be amplified by the organ structure, and so we wouldn't need low frequency sub woofers.

Do we need tweeter's for this? If so, which?

Our idea is to put the on the ground at angle, with the tweeters in between:
TQWT.png

That is a simplified and schematic way of viewing the thing. Same thing is the ( so-called) Daline, which is a TL (?).
It's like a rendering to 2D from 3D loosing a dimension :eek::mad:
Particularly I refer to the compression chamber, which I have not seen in Voigt design. The Metronome is, right Dave ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is a simplified and schematic way of viewing the thing. Same thing is the ( so-called) Daline, which is a TL (?).
It's like a rendering to 2D from 3D loosing a dimension :eek::mad:
Particularly I refer to the compression chamber, which I have not seen in Voigt design. The Metronome is, right Dave ?

More like a BIB, but with a bulge to accomodate the driver (and an extra fold).

dave

Our idea is to put the on the ground at angle, with the tweeters in between:
View attachment 417793

Oh I hadn't seen that :confused::confused:
So it's not a (so-called) hi-fi thing

I guess you should be looking at some 8 or 10 inches driver.
Its power ( electrical) and acoustic output ( acoustic power :think that 97 % gets a radical transformation into heat=loose ) should be determined about with some gross calculation, including volume of the hall (if indoors) and volume to be played
Or just choose the conventional display of power scaling and starting from 50 and arriving at 500 (800) Watt RMS ( continuum use ! ).

You would not even need a tweeter if you choose from the wideband series, which often employ a (so-called) whizzer cone. I think wideband drivers with a whizzer are the most used for amplifying an electric organ

Its power ( electrical) and acoustic output ( acoustic power :think that 97 % gets a radical transformation into heat=loose ) should be determined about with some gross calculation

How would one go about doing these calculations? The speakers will be outdoors.

Or just choose the conventional display of power scaling and starting from 50 and arriving at 500 (800) Watt RMS ( continuum use ! ).

I don't quite understand. Buy power scaling, are you refering to the London Power Preamp Kits, saying I need to buy a preamp, or an amplifier with this power scaling built in? And what do you mean buy starting at 50 and arriving at 500 Watts RMS? I know what RMS means, but I still don't really understand.

Oh sorry! It wasn't very clear to me either :confused::eek:
I was referring at the range offered by the variety of production
:dunno:
You may start from the 50 number that is a standard at home, just surpassed
by the 100/150 powerful model. So 3 digits power figures and more...

Or you might look at what others would employ for this typical usage.
Many would simply refeer to the bargain budget 10"+tweeter ( horn) possibly already amplified - And you just take the black box without knowing what's inside, being it a pretentious 1600 W Peak :rolleyes::warped:

So, many choices about the drivers.
And amplifiers, of course

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.