Looking for alternative to a stepped attenuator and identifying a switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again for the help. One more question.

The difference between the Dact style and this style
KPYOQxJl.jpg

is one uses traditional resistors and the other uses SMD resistors?

Pretty much. DACT hand selects their through hole resistors, not sure what they do for SMD.

Stereo image depends very much on channel balance, so you will get much better results when you match resistors channel to channel.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the cheap eBay DACT style stepped attenuators or the other style (any idea what they're called?). I'm leaning towards the DACT style ones for simplicity but if the other is better for audio quality then I rather go with it. Either way I'll still be under budget.

I suppose you would be disappointed with the cheap eBay versions. My advice would be to build the kits from Australia. Not much more than the eBay ladder attenuators, and with good resistors. It takes a day to build out.

DIY Fidelity

Wow that's not bad. $49.64 (USD) + shipping. Thanks for the link.

Check out Seiden selector switches too, as long as you are shopping. They're top quality and have a nicer, smoother "feel" than the Elmas (in my opinion, of course).
[/IMG]

Wow. $100 a switch is far out of budget. I was planning on going with the cheap Russian ceramic switches. Is there anything else I should look at?

The eBay version i linked with Dale resistors is perfectly fine, i've used them many times. There is only ever two resistors in the signal path so the eBay one will sound identical to any other using the same resistors. I know this for a fact as i replaced an eBay one with a vintage Goldpoint i rebuilt with Dale resistors. You can see both versions in my photo gallery here Album ?Bottlehead S.E.X.? by mcandmar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.