Looking for alternative to a stepped attenuator and identifying a switch - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2014, 02:46 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the help. One more question.

The difference between the Dact style and this style Click the image to open in full size.

is one uses traditional resistors and the other uses SMD resistors?
Old 9th May 2014, 02:49 PM   #22
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Pretty much. DACT hand selects their through hole resistors, not sure what they do for SMD.

Stereo image depends very much on channel balance, so you will get much better results when you match resistors channel to channel.
Old 9th May 2014, 02:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
Pretty much. DACT hand selects their through hole resistors, not sure what they do for SMD.

Stereo image depends very much on channel balance, so you will get much better results when you match resistors channel to channel.
I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the cheap eBay DACT style stepped attenuators or the other style (any idea what they're called?). I'm leaning towards the DACT style ones for simplicity but if the other is better for audio quality then I rather go with it. Either way I'll still be under budget.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:04 PM   #24
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I suppose you would be disappointed with the cheap eBay versions. My advice would be to build the kits from Australia. Not much more than the eBay ladder attenuators, and with good resistors. It takes a day to build out.

DIY Fidelity
Old 9th May 2014, 03:04 PM   #25
Redboy is offline Redboy  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out Seiden selector switches too, as long as you are shopping. They're top quality and have a nicer, smoother "feel" than the Elmas (in my opinion, of course).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th May 2014, 03:08 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
I suppose you would be disappointed with the cheap eBay versions. My advice would be to build the kits from Australia. Not much more than the eBay ladder attenuators, and with good resistors. It takes a day to build out.

DIY Fidelity
Wow that's not bad. $49.64 (USD) + shipping. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboy View Post
Check out Seiden selector switches too, as long as you are shopping. They're top quality and have a nicer, smoother "feel" than the Elmas (in my opinion, of course).
[/IMG]
Wow. $100 a switch is far out of budget. I was planning on going with the cheap Russian ceramic switches. Is there anything else I should look at?
Old 9th May 2014, 03:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

The eBay version i linked with Dale resistors is perfectly fine, i've used them many times. There is only ever two resistors in the signal path so the eBay one will sound identical to any other using the same resistors. I know this for a fact as i replaced an eBay one with a vintage Goldpoint i rebuilt with Dale resistors. You can see both versions in my photo gallery here Album ?Bottlehead S.E.X.? by mcandmar
Old 13th May 2014, 04:30 PM   #28
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Facing Same issues :-) You might consider this one
SMT Resistor 100K Step Attenuator Volume Control Alps | eBay
I don't think it has detents though.
But it is a de-facto Series, make before break attenuator using discrete SMD resistors.
Buy 2 (one for each input channel) and have a Balance capability.
Do hunt around in Ebay... as prices vary and often include Free shipping

Hide this!Advertise here!