Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2014, 01:47 AM   #1
jonsig is offline jonsig  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Default The big capacitor audio myth ?

Hi fellas .

Probably not the first time someone has this question but after some googleŽing i have no solid answers . People claim that each capacitor has its own character and "the other group" say that there is no scientific proof about these claims .

I owe two similar models of vintage marantz , one has "crappy" caps like jamicon and some Fuhjyyu caps ... Other one .. low z rubicons i think and nichicons . I use both with my grado-500 ps and i cant tell the difference . (marantz 1072&1070) It really got me thinking .. im very picky about audio quality .

Im wondering if the audio capacitor myth is still going strong ? Is it a nasty herbalife scheme to make more revenues for the capacitor companies ?

hope iŽm not making you bored
Old 14th April 2014, 01:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Personally I usually use the cheapest Chinese capacitors off ebay and have never had a bad sounding amplifier.
I guess other factors might have more of an effect like speakers that vary wildly in impedance across the audio range.
Not much point in 0.00001% distortion at the amplifier if the speakers distort by 10% !
Old 14th April 2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What about capacitor sound makes it a myth? Seems to me to be just that the noise on supplies is more audible than people believe. More caps (lower impedance) makes for lower noise power hence cleaner sound.

PS I also use the cheapest Chinese caps I can find - the more the merrier.
Old 14th April 2014, 02:26 AM   #4
jonsig is offline jonsig  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Mabey its best to recap amplifiers with solid state caps ?
Old 14th April 2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Meaning ceramics? Sounds expensive, would be potentially awesome though
Old 14th April 2014, 02:37 AM   #6
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Personally I usually use the cheapest Chinese capacitors off ebay and have never had a bad sounding amplifier.
I guess other factors might have more of an effect like speakers that vary wildly in impedance across the audio range.
Not much point in 0.00001% distortion at the amplifier if the speakers distort by 10% !
agree with this 100%, any designer worth his salt will use capacitors as they are designed for, not because audiophools says those are the caps to use....

the challenge to designers imho is to come up with designs that rocks and is the biggest bang for the buck at the same time....
Old 14th April 2014, 02:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
What about capacitor sound makes it a myth? Seems to me to be just that the noise on supplies is more audible than people believe. More caps (lower impedance) makes for lower noise power hence cleaner sound.

PS I also use the cheapest Chinese caps I can find - the more the merrier.
i subscribe to this idea....
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th April 2014, 02:46 AM   #8
Sin Bin

Looks promising - how many uF do you have there? Any series L?

Perhaps its time to change my sig to 'There's no such thing as too many caps'
Old 14th April 2014, 02:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

16 x 470ufd....after the bridge rectifier, 2 x 470uf, then to the choke, and then after the choke is the rest of the filter caps.....

these caps were pull outs from smps psu boards and checked out good so i used them...

the owner of the preamp insisted that i use all those caps....i made 3 preamps all using the same psu topology....
Old 14th April 2014, 02:58 AM   #10
Sin Bin

Must be fairly high voltage as those 470uFs look to be snap-in types? My latest buffer has 91 * 4700uF on the rails, but only 6.3V.

Hide this!Advertise here!