Logitech Z-5500 Subwoofer Toroidal Transformer Hum Noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 5th April 2014, 03:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Logitech Z-5500 Subwoofer Toroidal Transformer Hum Noise

Hi everyone,

I've been having some trouble with my Logitech Z-5500's and I was hoping I could get some advice from you knowledgeable folks!

I noticed a low buzzing sound coming from the subwoofer box and it turned out to be coming from the toroidal transformer. (I originally thought it was coming from the sub itself because of magnetic interference from the transformer but it's coming from the actual transformer.) The hum starts when the switch in the back of the sub is turned on even when there is nothing other than the power cord plugged into the system. It seems like whenever the transformer is powered it makes noise.

The brand name on the transformer is TENPAO and the model number is TOU543005F0.

I was wondering if someone has an idea of what is causing the hum or a suggestion for what could be done to stop the transformer from humming?

Thank you!
Old 6th April 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Mount it to a rubber block, fill it with silicone, or hot glue. It's probably not bad. Just noisy.
Old 6th April 2014, 07:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Thanks for your reply.

I can hear the noise from across the room. Is that type of hum normal?
Old 27th March 2015, 10:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
I have the same problem. How did you fix it?

Hide this!Advertise here!