Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
youngie is offline youngie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default just brought new capacitors but i have order the wrong ones.

just brought new capacitors but i have order the wrong ones. i have a 425 volt witch should of been a 600v.. can i still use the 425 instead of the 600 volt or will it blow my amp up thank you all lee
Old 6th March 2014, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

anyone.. because i want to try and do it tonight cheers lee
Old 6th March 2014, 10:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would say no, don't use them.

You obviously don't even know what information to provide so that someone could answer your question. This leads me to believe that you don't really know what the heck you are doing, and that you should just stick with the proper parts.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Check the voltage on the supply rail. If it is less than 425v then they are OK. If more, buy the correct parts. You could, if you have enough of them, series parallel them, to give the correct capacity and up to 850volts working.
Old 7th March 2014, 02:21 AM   #5
laplace is offline laplace  Australia
diyAudio Member

What is the working voltage? Are they supply filters? Signal coupling? Where do they go in the circuit?

If they're underrated for voltage, they will probably overheat and fail, which may or may not have flow-on effects on other parts of the amp depending on their purpose.
Old 7th March 2014, 03:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi all thank you for the fast replys i have got a audio research LS2 preamp i have change the capacitors on the top off the board that i believe are the balance they where 200v but i have replaced them with a 300v but my concern are the capacitors below the balance capacitors at the bottom of the board as they are 600v but i got the wrong capacitor as the value are 425v i have looked at the power supply all i can see is 20-240 vac am i looking at the right volt of the power supply sorry to be a pain and please forgive me if this sound silly but i have only a little knowledge
Old 7th March 2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This appears to be a hybrid tube amp so could have very high voltages.
Are the capacitors electrolytics or film and what value?

If the manual has a diagram locate the power supply and see what voltages are used, the LS22 for example uses +-180v so 425v caps would be ok for example.

Valve gear is dangerous if you are not used to measuring high voltages. I suggest you do not try to measure the power supply voltages.

Alan
Old 7th March 2014, 07:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

the capacitor are film 425v model dynamicap i cannot see any power rail just a power supply would the voltage rate be on the power supply if not were would i find it all the best chris
Old 7th March 2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

On the schematic (circuit diagram ) if you have one.

However as these are film then they are not the PSU (power supply) caps.
Look near the transformer for 2 or more large electrolytic capacitors, these will be the main smoothing capacitors. Check the voltage on them. These will rated a bit more than the maximum but not a great deal as that would be extra expense for the maker.
I would think a rating of 200-250V is probably marked on them.

alan
Old 7th March 2014, 08:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What ever happened to punctuation?

It makes sentences easier to read when every now and then you throw a period in.

Stick with the proper voltage caps. And be sure you have a better knowledge of electricity than grammar before you go diving into high voltages. Voltages in tube amps can KILL.

Not being mean, just honest

Hide this!Advertise here!