just brought new capacitors but i have order the wrong ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all thank you for the fast replys i have got a audio research LS2 preamp i have change the capacitors on the top off the board that i believe are the balance they where 200v but i have replaced them with a 300v but my concern are the capacitors below the balance capacitors at the bottom of the board as they are 600v but i got the wrong capacitor as the value are 425v i have looked at the power supply all i can see is 20-240 vac am i looking at the right volt of the power supply sorry to be a pain and please forgive me if this sound silly but i have only a little knowledge

This appears to be a hybrid tube amp so could have very high voltages.
Are the capacitors electrolytics or film and what value?

If the manual has a diagram locate the power supply and see what voltages are used, the LS22 for example uses +-180v so 425v caps would be ok for example.

Valve gear is dangerous if you are not used to measuring high voltages. I suggest you do not try to measure the power supply voltages.

Alan

On the schematic (circuit diagram ) if you have one.

However as these are film then they are not the PSU (power supply) caps.
Look near the transformer for 2 or more large electrolytic capacitors, these will be the main smoothing capacitors. Check the voltage on them. These will rated a bit more than the maximum but not a great deal as that would be extra expense for the maker.
I would think a rating of 200-250V is probably marked on them.

alan

What ever happened to punctuation?

It makes sentences easier to read when every now and then you throw a period in.

Stick with the proper voltage caps. And be sure you have a better knowledge of electricity than grammar before you go diving into high voltages. Voltages in tube amps can KILL.

Not being mean, just honest;)

It is not 'cyber bullying' when someone whose native language is, presumably, not English says that your posts are difficult to read because of lack of punctuation. Lack of care in writing may sometimes be a sign of more general lack of care, which has safety implications when high voltages are being used. We like to keep forum members alive.

The non-English speakers on here mostly write very good English - sometimes better than native speakers. We try hard to understand people for whom English is a second or third language, when they are doing their best. We should not need to do that for Brits.

I was not trying to be MEAN, only illustrating the point that working with high voltages take care, knowledge, understanding, and patience.

This is a hobby that can indeed KILL you with ONE careless mistake or lack of judgement. I did phrase it in a cheeky way and if you were offended I do apologize.

The comment about punctuation still stands. People often judge intelligence on ones ability to communicate, it is indeed important.

I am not calling you stupid or incapable, however a bit of care in how you articulate yourself will go a long way towards showing that you are truly serious in your desire to learn.

Again, please take no offense, no "cyberbullying" here, just an old guy who values proper punctuation.:)

It is not 'cyber bullying' when someone whose native language is, presumably, not English says that your posts are difficult to read because of lack of punctuation. Lack of care in writing may sometimes be a sign of more general lack of care, which has safety implications when high voltages are being used. We like to keep forum members alive.

The non-English speakers on here mostly write very good English - sometimes better than native speakers. We try hard to understand people for whom English is a second or third language, when they are doing their best. We should not need to do that for Brits.
thank you

I was not trying to be MEAN, only illustrating the point that working with high voltages take care, knowledge, understanding, and patience.

This is a hobby that can indeed KILL you with ONE careless mistake or lack of judgement. I did phrase it in a cheeky way and if you were offended I do apologize.

The comment about punctuation still stands. People often judge intelligence on ones ability to communicate, it is indeed important.

I am not calling you stupid or incapable, however a bit of care in how you articulate yourself will go a long way towards showing that you are truly serious in your desire to learn.

Again, please take no offense, no "cyberbullying" here, just an old guy who values proper punctuation.:)
sorry. just tired. all my best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.