toroid magnetic fields and monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i am going to build an amp for a high end computer system and was just wondering if my plan would work. OK, I want to put the amp under the monitor in about a 8Dx12Wx3H case. It is going to have about a 250VA toroid with 25v secondaries. My question is if this toroid is going to cause magnetic interference to the monitor being so large and sitting right under the monitor? Does anyone have any experience with this? I know that speakers must be magnetically shielded for this very reason.

Not really. Since CRTs rely on magnetic fields, they have some compensation circuitry and shielding in them. You should be ok, if you see any discoloration, use the degauss button, that's what it's for. You can run two or more monitors side by side with no problem (i know i do) and that's probably worse than your amp'll be.
--
danny

azira said:
Not really. Since CRTs rely on magnetic fields, they have some compensation circuitry and shielding in them. You should be ok, if you see any discoloration, use the degauss button, that's what it's for. You can run two or more monitors side by side with no problem (i know i do) and that's probably worse than your amp'll be.

Tranformers dont generate "static" magnetic fields, so what youve mentioned above doesnt apply (about the degauss).

I have an older transformer (not torid) powered CD player under my CRT monitor... turning it on does make the monitors image shimmer slightly at mains freq.

Torids dont emit as much of magnetic field as the older transformers, so you might be ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.