Replacement Woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the building aspect of the speaker world. Right now I have a 5.1 yamaha 500 watt receiver. My dad gave me his old Bose 301's back when I turned 16. And I bought a 10 inch polk audio sub when I graduated high school. My ex gave me these crappy old floor standing "sound design" speakers. I'm attempting to refurbish them so they'll be the speakers for my second channel. So far I've gutted the housings and sanded them down and spray painted them matte black. I kept the original tweeters, and mid ranges. The woofers however were two different brands, one was ten pounds heavier than the other, and they both were blown. I ordered and wired a new crossover. But, being a college student, I had to put the project on hold until some more money came my way to buy the new woofers. Now that I have some cash I'm only looking to spend $100 to $120 for both woofers. The old woofers were 12" so what are the best brands to get for my price range? and I should go with 8 ohms correct? any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures soon.

try parts express dot com
You can buy locally afterwards.

Now that the speakers are blown try taking out the voice coil and find the wire ends to see if you can get an ohm reading. 8 ohm speakers in place of 4 ohm ones will output the sound lower (as compared to the rest of the drivers in a speaker if they are 4 ohm). the overall crossover arrangement might also get affected, you might have to reconstruct. A 4 ohm 12" tends to be a heavy driver than an 8 ohm one. I reckon 8 ohm is good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.