This chassis .. WHERE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi.

I've been randomly lurking around trying to find proper chassis/enclosures for my amps (gainclones, icepower etc) and preamp/DSP projects. I've looked at various ebay/china boxes, heaps of modu/hifi2000 things, etc. Nothing really tickles me. They all look cheap-ish and boring.

.. That is, until I saw this: DIY audio balanced preamp

First of all, kudos to the guy who made this preamp (He's probably on this forum anyway, hi!). That's a neat build indeed. But what really gives me a braingasm is the chassis he used. Perfect looking brushed panel with sunk holes for LEDs and absolutely beautiful volume/selector knobs. would be PERFECT for what I need. The rotary dials look like something from a Primare amp. Absolutely love it.

As far as I can see from facebook comments below the article, this chassis was sold by a vendor in Thailand that is now out of business. My heart broke while I read that. I was hoping some of you guys might know of other places/vendors that sell this chassis (there's got to be a few of them circulating somewhere, no?) or a very similar one?

If this thing is nowhere to be found, would anyone have a wild guess as to how much it would cost to have the hifi2000 guys (or someone else) make an exact replica?

Thanks guys.

Well, I was hoping not to have to go the mill-it-yourself way when there is obviously something out there that looks like what I need. But indeed, what makes it special is the front panel. The rest is just a box. I also haven't seen a single build with a modu chassis yet that's delivered in all silver color. Their silver/alu front panels are okay, but not quite the same color/look as the one I posted above. Also, modu's top/side covers only come in black it seems? As far as I could see they don't have a single picture in their webshop that shows silver cover/sides.

Oh well, I'll keep looking. :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
bjornhamra:

If you look closely at some of the photographs in the link you provided, you'll see "diyzone" references on the pcbs. I suggest you search their website. Keep in mind diyzone is renowned for ripping off other people's designs (I'm thinking in particular those of Mr. Pass).

Regards,
Scott

Is DIYzone even operating these days? All their URLs/domains (that I know of at least) seem to be gone now.. Maybe the author of the link I posted was talking about DIYzone when he mentioned a taiwan site that was now out of business?

Anyway, thanks. Will post back if I find anything similar :)

I have also been looking for an out of the ordinary case to enclose my to be built DCB1 buffer preamp. I was unimpressed with the available choices until I came upon these.Khozmo Acoustic Passive Preamplifier | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review
I have communicated with the owner, Arek Kallas, who indicated to me he would sell the case alone. Perhaps these will meet your fancy as well as size requirements.

Mark

I wonder why do you think Modu enclosures looks cheap and boring.
In my opinion it's only matter of proper design and silk-screen printing. Look what I made using Modu enclosures:

black+protagonist.jpg

IMGP4678.jpg

IMGP4680.jpg

mac-dac+sharp.jpg

Do them look cheap and boring?

I wonder why do you think Modu enclosures looks cheap and boring.
In my opinion it's only matter of proper design and silk-screen printing. Look what I made using Modu enclosures:

Do them look cheap and boring?

Quite frankly (with the risk of sounding rude, sorry), well, not quite my style. That last cabinet would be very nice if it came with the whole chassis in silver (not just the front, and not the slightly darker aluminium look).

Good job though! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.