Where to find low value air core coils? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2013, 12:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to find low value air core coils?

Hi diy'ers,

I hope one of you can help with this ... I'm looking for a source of either:

- low value air core foil inductors (10 uH - 50 uH) with a good insulation (polypropylene, teflon or the like) preferably in Europe and I should be able to buy in low No.s and not too expensive, and/or

- a link to a webpage where I can calculate how to design an optimum air core foil inductor (haven't found one googling ..). An online calculator would be much desired ...

Might you have some tips for this? Thanks for reading and maybe replying

Jesper
Old 16th December 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try here...

Inductor Designer / Calculator

http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-cont...18-11-2013.pdf

Hope they work out for you.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here...Coil Inductance Calculator - 66pacific.com

Mike
Old 16th December 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi both,

& thanks for replying. Interesting to find out that there is a company like Jantzen in the very same country that I live in :-) I'll see what's available from them ...

Regarding the coil inductance calculator it seems as if both of your suggestions are round wire based calculators ... Might you have a suggestion for a foil calculator?

... and then ... if I end up winding them myself maybe one of you know where I can find some copper foil in ~10 meter lengths (~ 20 - 40 um thickness - it's for a line level application)?

Cheers,

Jesper

Last edited by gentlevoice; 16th December 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 18th December 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
- low value air core foil inductors (10 uH - 50 uH) with a good insulation (polypropylene, teflon or the like) preferably in Europe and I should be able to buy in low No.s and not too expensive

Jesper
Jesper, you can buy 0.1mH Mundorf CFC16 or CFC14 and unwind it to the value you need.
Old 18th December 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi xjr100 - that's a great tip, thanks! Made me realize that I can buy one of these in a larger size and then unwind and make two, which is what I need.

Thanks again,

Jesper

Hide this!Advertise here!