Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Low noise shunt referene?

The attached image is the noise density plot from the onsemi tl431 datasheet.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/TL431-D.PDF

Does anybody know of a better or comparable shunt reference availble in a sot23 or similar package?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png onsemi_tl431.png (39.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 16th December 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That is about the same noise density as that of a 140k resistor, so I suspect a green LED or a zener would be much better
Old 16th December 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It also depends on how accurate you need the reference to be. I use LM329. It is quite low noise, and stable enough.

A led should be very good, but I can't say it would certainly be rock stable. So you might tell us how critical the application is.

Have a look at this thread too:

Zener vs Led as reference
Old 16th December 2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The plot for the Sipex TL431 is marginally better. What's the application? When I need lower noise than the TI TL431 (considerably worse on paper than the OnSemi), I'll parallel them and/or filter the output.
Attached Images
File Type: png sipex-tl431.png (14.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 16th December 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi - I would also suggest a LED (green, orange, yellow) combined with a CCS and a good capacitor(s) for decoupling. Yet i don't know you application ...

If LEDs are a possibility for you you might find Christer's measurements interesting (attachment)

Greetings,

Jesper
Attached Files
File Type: txt diode støj-målinger vers. 4.txt (14.5 KB, 15 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!