Which Film Capacitor in HV Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Film Capacitor in HV Power Supply

Hi all,

I need 100uf 500V and 47uf 500V film caps to be used in high voltage psu of a tube pre-amplifier. I have enough space to fit them in. I can't change 100uf one, but can lower 47uf a bit if needed. There are not many options at this values, so far I have Obbligato, ASC and Mundorf M-Tube Caps. I know, it is a subjective thing but I'd welcome any recommendations. Any other cap I missed?

Regards
Old 8th December 2013, 05:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Cornell Dubilier

You might look into these - search Digikey Electronics via the hyperlink below. They are 4.7uF, 600V polypropylenes by Cornell Dubilier, part number 940C6W4P7K-F. John Broskie seems very excitied about the 1uF, 1kV unit of this 940C capacitor series - see, second hyperlink below.

Of course, you would need 10 units to make 47uF, and at a cost of about $US100. Maybe not exactly cheap, but seems quite reasonable for what they are. I don't know the availability in Turkey. Also, I've not yet auditioned them myself.

http://www.digikey.com

Current-Out Circlotons

Last edited by Ken Newton; 8th December 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 8th December 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

it realy isn't expected for competent construction film caps in even most tube amp ps to be audible in controlled listening testing - did you level match, use double Blind protocol - did the people you read do so?

if cap munufacturer changes "ears only" sound maybe you should add regulation and or more filtering to the ps or between amp stages
Old 8th December 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

You also have the solen PPE, which are fairly priced.

20$ for 47uf/630VDC
53$ for 100uF/630VDC

Solen Fastcap: PPE, PPM & PESG Series, Metalized Polypropylene Cap

Otherwise, I never had any trouble with ICAR mlr25 motor run mkp caps. They exist in 50uF/400VAC.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi all, and thank you for responses.

Ken: I think 10 units for 47uf and another 20 for 100uf will be impractical for me. But I'll remember that cap for other uses.

jcx: Well, "if caps does matter" is not topic of this thread. All I know is I need some film caps to use in HV section. From your saying can I understand "go with the cheapest" ?

00940: Thank you for suggestion. I'll keep them in mind. They are relatively cheaper and many folks like them. The famous Tempo Electric cap test rates them AA. ASC's rated as AAA though.

Regards
Old 10th December 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The ASC X386 look quite good, no-nonsense caps. Even cheaper than solen at Angela. I'd go for it
Old 10th December 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default of course you could want the audiophile story

placebo/expectation really does color our listening impressions

Quote:
From your saying can I understand "go with the cheapest" ?
not at all - the question is what is evidence worth paying attention too? - much tweak audiophile commentary is internally inconsistent even before looking at DBT lack of results from "Golden Ears" when they can't see the brand marking, link the "story" to the listening trial

there are psychoacoustic thresholds for many effects, masking theory shows why simple distortion numbers aren't too predictive - but that doesn't at all mean engineering, measurements and psychoacoustic knowledge is useless in designing circuits

engineers designing electronics worked out many subtleties of caps more than 1/2 a century ago for telcom, test and measurement instrumentation at Bell Labs, HP, Tektronix...

why does anyone think that smorgasbord of cap types existed for audiophiles to "discover"

so the questions are in your circuit, what are the engineering numbers for ripple, rejection, load regulation - how do PS Cap values, parasitics like ESL, ESR translate to errors at the audio output

its possible that simple circuit changes can make it orders of magnitude less sensitive compared to dubiously audible changes of factors of a few in parasitics by brand/construction - that may not have any effect or may even go in the wrong direction with some "by ear" selected cap

Last edited by jcx; 10th December 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11th December 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I used these 97F8238RR - GENTEQ - CAPACITOR MOTOR-START, 49.93UF, 480VAC, CAN 6% | Newark element14 US
Genteq 47 uf 480 VAC motor start capacitors, for the B+ to replace the 47 uf electrolytics in my organ. Give the output command authority. polyprophylene dielectric 60000 hour service life, $27 what is not to like. They came in with a 1000 VDC rating in addition to the 480 VAC rating stamped on them.
Or these http://www.newark.com/genteq/97f5211...v-6/dp/13M4398 only 440 VAC rating but $19.
Newark.com operates as farnell.com worldwide, see what is in your country.
I put the big caps in a separate chassis away from the power transformer, to keep untrained hands from getting electrocuted on the exposed wiring. I used 18" of shielded twinax to hook them up to the main chassis. No problem, but organ frequencies stop at 7000. There is plenty of 65 hz bass, though, out of my 15" woofer.

Last edited by indianajo; 11th December 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 16th December 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi people,

Thank you all for your inputs. I decided on ASC X386's. They were the cheapest option on my list.

Dear jcx: You are most welcome although you seem to not offer me a brand name. I know, there are not perfect components which are best options for the every single circuit. And I also give the same type of advice when people ask my opinion on a hobby which I have expertise (definitely not electronic circuits). And a confession: I don't belong here. My level of knowledge simply doesn't enough to this forum. I don't understand many things when good and helpful people give answers to my nonsense questions. But I still try to progress. Read and read, ask and read more... I prefer to ask here -even I don't understand the replies- than Asylum or Agon, since people there focuses too much on brands. I also focus on circuit design, like the title below. I'm trying to re-design the PSU of my unit although I couldn't manage to get an answer

Rebuilding Counterpoint SA-5.1 PSU

Regards,

Firat.

Hide this!Advertise here!