Ground loop problem- laptop computer to mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having trouble with a ground loop with a laptop computer hooked into my DJ system. Its using the unbalanced 1/8" line out on the computer (a Dell) to the 1/4" unbalanced inputs on the mixer board. Now, I only have this problem when I have the computer's power supply plugged in. It is a 3 prong line lump style adaptor. I have not tried to lift the 3rd pin yet (im at work rite now, and I dunno if I can find my cheater plugs). If I run the computer off the batteries it is fine and dandy.

I have 2 DJ cd players as well that are unbalanced and those do not have any problem. Help!

Yeah, I have this problem too when I use my laptop to play music on my home stereo. Even if the laptop is plugged into the same socket it'll have the problem. The laptop is so compact and the PS is on the opposite side of the laptop from the soundcard. Dell still makes the best laptops though.
Anyway, like the prev post says. Get a DI box from a music store and use the ground-lift option. Check the freq-response on the box when you buy them since you'll need it for DJ music. They will convert your 1/4" to XLR however. ~$20 each for a decent active one.

I used to buy isolation transformers from these guys:

http://www.rcicustom.com/index2.htm

They were decent transformers for not a lot of money. I think the part number was something like 60L60. They don’t list them on the web site, but if you call them they can likely help.

If your in MD near DC Chuck Levin’s Music is a good place to buy DI boxes, and there is also Markertek,

www.markertek.com

Gain stage issues can exacerbate ground loops. I needed to insert a pad between my laptop and desktop speakers to keep from hearing the PC’s bus noise when the curser moves. In my case it’s a 10k stereo pot from Radio Shack stuffed into an aluminum box.

Attachments

• pasive pre.jpg
    pasive pre.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 147
Is there anything else that's earthed connected to the same mixer? If so, can you break that earth connection without compromising electric safety?

For example, if you have a tuner with an earthed antenna cable, you can insert two small 100nF capacitors between the antenna cable and the tuner, one for the ground and one for the centre conductor.

RF ground loops

This is the most baffling thing, and occurs quite often with camcorders when you take any audio signal from a mixer. Even when there is obviously NO ground connection from the camcorder or even the mixer, to the AC mains. Think about this-- it's NOT a classic "ground loop", yet, we are hearing the buzz when we use the power brick on the camcorder (or laptop). I will have to conclude that what we're hearing is an RF ground loop to the other device-- RF signals from the various devices, down the cord, thru the power brick and thru the house mains. Or, a simple RF path to ground, causing my camcorder (or your preamp) to recognize RF which is equally present when running on batteries, but has no ground path.

Some of this may be reduced by ferrite beads on everything-- all cables in/out of your devices. If there's no RF in your device, or the other device, the existence of a ground path does not matter.

Those laptop power adapters are switching power supplies. A chip watches the input 110/220 and is constantly switching on and off to keep the DC output constant. They generate a lot of RF noise. One solution would be to buy a supplemental battery that fits in the extra bay of the laptop and gives you a lot more run time. You may also need a new main battery as these start to deteriorate after about 300 to 400 charge/discharge cycles.

Al

I have not tried to lift the 3rd pin yet (im at work rite now, and I dunno if I can find my cheater plugs). If I run the computer off the batteries it is fine and dandy.

Never lift (disconnect) the ground pin!!! The person you electrocute could be yourself.

If the ground pin is the problem, replace the laptop power supply with one that doesnt need a ground pin.

As cbdb wrote, you should never lift the ground pin, it is dangerous.

Is your laptop power supply connected to the same electrical outlet than your DJ system? If not, try it to see if the problem is the same...

The fastest, easiest and cheapest way to sometimes fix that kind of problem is to insert a 10 to 100 Ohm resistor (keep it as low as possible) in the ground path of your interconnecting cable between your laptop and your DJ system. Many amplifiers have that resistor added to the ground input circuitry to get rid of the possibility of a ground loop. I have been doing that trick for awhile when I have ground loop problems and it does not work all the time but it often does.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.