Links to the Bill Whitlock Papers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Links to the Bill Whitlock Papers
Because these links sometimes go missing.

"UNDERSTANDING, FINDING, & ELIMINATING GROUND LOOPS IN AUDIO & VIDEO SYSTEMS"
2005 Generic Seminar Template
Instructor -Bill Whitlock

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic seminar.pdf

A 2012 PowerPoint about the above paper.

"An Overview of Audio System Grounding and Interfacing"
by Bill Whitlock, President Jensen Transformers, Inc.

http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

"Ground Loops: The Rest of the Story"
Bill Whitlock, AES Fellow and Jamie Fox, P.E.
This paper was presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20963848/268252969/name/Whitlock-Fox+-+Ground+Loops+.pdf

Aha, found it.

Took a while. This is a post caused by speedskater's providing the link in another forum.

Again, thanks speedskater..

I again thank you for your post. I downloaded Bill's indy-aes-2012 seminar presentation, and find it to be exceptionally well organized and very very good. I recommend everybody get it and study it.

As is usual for me, I do have a few nitpicks and comments. (wouldn't want to dissapoint)tongue.gif

page 6. I have a t-shirt almost like that, but the helmet has GUT across the top..
page 14. There is no such thing as inductance of one wire, it needs a loop to measure. A 10 foot length of zip would be about 2 uH, he's measuring the loop formed by the wire and the test leads.
Page 22, he shows an autotransformer and calls it a transformer. On the west coast of the USA, they are indeed transformers. You can tell by the number of hv bushings on the top.
page 31. While ### accused me of wanting to redesign the grid, Whitlock does indeed do just that, at least the conduit runs within buildings.
Page 32. Not sure how to approach this. The exact midpoint is not a magnetic null zone. That error doesn't ruin any following discussion though.
page 35. Note the three orders of magnitude drop as a consequence of twisting L-N.
page 43. He did not mention that there can be ground differences between outlets in a daisy chain by coupling between the meter leads and the ground conductor. He incorrectly thinks only IR drop here, yet does indeed consider induction throughout the paper.
page 53. His understanding of sub wavelength mismatched T-lines needs work. His statement however, is accurate when at least one end is terminated matched.
page 83..""The pin 1 problem- a designed in defect""..truer words were never spoken. He should add "and currents along the chassis".
page 99. He still needs to learn about sub wavelength t-lines where both ends are mismatched. Otherwise, good slide.
page 115 EXCELLENT...He finally addressed the pin 1 problem for outputs... man, I've harped on that for years.
page 125..""commerce without conscience"" what a great phrase...
page 209. Ground isolators..I absolutely agree with him, I worked in a diode manu arena, and agree with him 1000 percent..

Excellent, excellent. I absolutely recommend everybody read this!!! I don't care if my comments are believed or not, all would be served well to read this..

Speedy...again, I thank you..

jn

Last edited:
Thanks very much for these links.
Now I am thinking about how they apply to my own condo. Malaysia is similar to UK system, but spurs are are more common the rings. The complication is that I have three phase and interconnected equipment across rooms is on different phases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.