Possibly useful site I ran across - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2003, 06:33 AM   #1
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Default Possibly useful site I ran across

Well, I ran across this site while doing some searching on ebay (btw, there's a 400VA toroid for $40 on right now .. not a great deal, but not THAT bad)

http://par-metal.com/
They've a few ranges of cases that could be used for smaller and medium amps, plus rack mount cases for bigger stuff, and they do custom orders (although custom orders seem to be quite pricey)

The prices aren't too bad .. again, not the greatest, but they're not bad.
They've a lot of sub-$100 cases, which is actually pretty nice. Usuallyt they'll cost you that much in new aluminum to make (they offer plain alodine, clear anodized, and black anodized)
Also they offer steel/aluminum chassis which are a little cheaper, and just plain chassis which are even more cheaper (non-rack mount)

Btw, I'm not affiliated with this place, and I've never done business with them. I ran across their link and thought they might be useful.

If anyone's done any business w/ them, please post your opinions about em so to let us know
Old 26th December 2003, 09:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have also had this company in mind for a while. I like the 20 Series AMP/PreAmp case...very nice compared to similarly priced stuff from Digikey and Mouser.
Old 3rd January 2004, 10:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In Australia Elgee Sheetmetal in Dandenong has a great range of cases - for instance a very nice 2U aluminium case, with venting holes all very neatly cut is $100AUD. Heaps nicer than the horrible Jaycar boxes which are dearer as well....

I think they are also on the web - www.elgee.com.au
Old 3rd January 2004, 10:48 PM   #4
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

They need to get their website working a little better first.
Old 3rd January 2004, 10:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Don't be put off by an old website, at least give them a call and discuss what you are after. These are the guys used by the likes of Electra Amps....

You won't be disappointed.
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:03 PM   #6
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

On the other hand Par-metal's site works just fine. Moreover the section on Amplifier cases looks to fairly new - it wasn't there when I last looked a couple of month's ago. As close to being what I've been looking for as anything.

The first reference I ever saw to Par-Metal was by G. Randy Slone. So if he sent enough business to them the cause them to bring out this specialty like - good for him.
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I just bought one of their Series 20 Cases used from a surplus shop here in Silicon Valley. It was part of a Cabletron network product. I'm using fancy heavy aluminum face plates anyway, so the pre-drilled holes don't matter to me. There is lots of space to layout all the BOSOZ components with ease.

I paid $10USD, and it included a powerswitch, fuse holder, and 3-prone power plug. That saved me another $8 bucks from Digi-Key as well.

Consider looking through surplus shops for recycled carcases.

The box is very good though!

Good luck,

-David

Hide this!Advertise here!