Lemo connector phono cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I'm new here and have a cable question.... I've made quite a few in my day but this one has me a little bit baffled.

On my Tonearm I purchased an option for a balanced connector. i.e. xlr etc.. On this particular termination block the manufacturer is using 3 Pin Lemo (push pull) connectors on the arm end and XLR termination at the phono stage end.

In speaking to the manufacturer a while back, he told me they float the ground on one end of the cable. Well, turns out that happens to be the Male lemo end and not the XLR end. So, only 2 of the 3 pins are wired on the cable at source- I do not know what the circumstances are inside the tonearm termination block.

Long story short, I now need an rca cable for my TT. If the Lemo end is not wired with the 3rd wire couldn't I just cut the XLR off the other end and solder on an RCA? only connecting the same 2 wires? It would seem that it is essentially already an rca with an alternative connector as the source end does not have the ground wire connected. Or I could wire the hot to the pin of the RCA and the neutral and ground wire to the barrell of the RCA and this might give me some shielding?

Only other option is to send back to manufacturer for a tonearm rewire and purchase a new RCA cable and that would be Big $$$. It seems like my fix would work but I'm not dealing with throwaway wires and would prefer to not make a mistake. The wire will be a pain in the butt to solder as it is of such small gauge.

Thanks, Chris

Hi all, I'm new here and have a cable question.... I've made quite a few in my day but this one has me a little bit baffled.

On my Tonearm I purchased an option for a balanced connector. i.e. xlr etc.. On this particular termination block the manufacturer is using 3 Pin Lemo (push pull) connectors on the arm end and XLR termination at the phono stage end.

In speaking to the manufacturer a while back, he told me they float the ground on one end of the cable. Well, turns out that happens to be the Male lemo end and not the XLR end. So, only 2 of the 3 pins are wired on the cable at source- I do not know what the circumstances are inside the tonearm termination block.

Long story short, I now need an rca cable for my TT. If the Lemo end is not wired with the 3rd wire couldn't I just cut the XLR off the other end and solder on an RCA? only connecting the same 2 wires? It would seem that it is essentially already an rca with an alternative connector as the source end does not have the ground wire connected. Or I could wire the hot to the pin of the RCA and the neutral and ground wire to the barrell of the RCA and this might give me some shielding?

Only other option is to send back to manufacturer for a tonearm rewire and purchase a new RCA cable and that would be Big $$$. It seems like my fix would work but I'm not dealing with throwaway wires and would prefer to not make a mistake. The wire will be a pain in the butt to solder as it is of such small gauge.

Thanks, Chris
If you don't want the XLR (which would have the cable screen connected to pin 1), the alternative to the RCA with screen and cold connected to the RCA shell, is to take the screen to the earth terminal on the phono pre-amp, together with the arm earth wire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.