crossover component help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I am fixing to start on my very first project, the Audax home theater set. The problem I am haveing is finding a few of the xover components. Mostly the Inductors, now my question is what will happen if I use and inductor that is rated at say 1.8mH at 0.27ohms instead of the one in the diagram that calls for 1.8mH at 0.43 ohms? What acoustic changes will that make to the xover network design? Now my next question is about resistors. What is the difference between using a 8ohm at 10watt or a 8ohm at 12watt? Can I use a 12watt instead of the called for 10watt? And could you please give me some links to buy some of this hard to find stuff. I have tried Partsexpress, Madisound, and Zalytron.

Thanks

"Mostly the Inductors, now my question is what will happen if I use and inductor that is rated at say 1.8mH at 0.27ohms instead of the one in the diagram that calls for 1.8mH at 0.43 ohms? What acoustic changes will that make to the xover network
design?"

Nothing at all in my opinion, for inductors resistance values below
1R you can safely use up to 0.5 the R value and to 1.5 the R value.
Sometimes inductors have highish R values > 1 you shouldn't change these.

"Now my next question is about resistors. What is the difference between using a 8ohm at 10watt or a 8ohm at 12watt?
Can I use a 12watt instead of the called for 10watt?"

The 12 watt can take more power, fine to use instead of 10 watt.

:) sreten.

sreten said:
[BNothing at all in my opinion, for inductors resistance values below
1R you can safely use up to 0.5 the R value and to 1.5 the R value.
Sometimes inductors have highish R values > 1 you shouldn't change these.

:) sreten. [/B]

Please clarify, I think the simple answer to my question is it would be ok, but I am not really sure what you mean by "1R and 0.5 the R values". I am extremely new at this and am basicly taking a crash course in electronics. Thank you for your help.

Yes thats basically it. I should have said :

For inductor resistance values of less than 1 ohm you
can safely use up to 0.5 the R value and to 1.5 the R value.

I forgot to mention :
make sure you are not substituting a ferrite cored inductor
for an air cored inductor, air cored inductors have higher
R values than the ferrite cored equivalents.
You should not change types.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.