Seeking panel mount AC duplex receptacle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Seeking panel mount AC duplex receptacle

I have a very nice older BrickWall surge protector/filter. It's fine except the receptacles have lost their tension. I am looking to replace them. These are the round type duplex receptacles just like you would use in your house except they don't have mounting ears (ears wouldn't fit in the chassis). There is no identification on the receptacles. Called BrickWall and they won't tell me the part number due to fear of liability issues
Searching though catalogs has not come up with anything. Tried modifying a Leviton box mount receptacle but removing the strap destroys the mechanical integrity. Pulled a similar receptacle from a TrippLite and it also has no markings!
I am running out of ideas, anyone have an idea as to how to find these?

Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you try the single round outlet? You can cut off the ears. Attached it is a picture. The one I am talking about it is in the middle of the picture. You can buy it in McCoy's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg info-outlets.jpg (30.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Did you try the single round outlet? You can cut off the ears. Attached it is a picture. The one I am talking about it is in the middle of the picture. You can buy it in McCoy's.
Thanks. Problem is the receptacle mounts via the center screw. They don't make my model any more but this photo of another one will show what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg products-8-plug_1024x1024.jpg (38.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
Tried modifying a Leviton box mount receptacle but removing the strap destroys the mechanical integrity. Pulled a similar receptacle from a TrippLite and it also has no markings!
What is that vertical dimension? Bending rather than removing the strap isn't an option?
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Those look like the same as the gray color in the picture. The gray color has the hole same as your picture in the middle. You may cut of the ears and use the middle hole to hold it in the chassis.
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Hi,
Those look like the same as the gray color in the picture. The gray color has the hole same as your picture in the middle. You may cut of the ears and use the middle hole to hold it in the chassis.
To the previous post, there is around 3.4" space available internally. A standard outlet with ears measures 4.25". So yes if I can't find the "correct" replacement, the approach would be to cut the ears off of a standard outlet and then putting some epoxy on the plastic end tabs to maintain integrity.
I am still hoping to find what I need off the shelf, but if that proves impossible I could go that approach.
Old 3rd November 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I literally just 3 weeks ago disassembled one of those to get the power transformer out of it. I recall not bothering with the AC outlets because they looked like off the shelf from home depot and they were center mounted as pictured.

I'm pretty sure you're $5 and a pair of snips away from solving this one.
Old 16th November 2013, 08:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stopped by a surplus store and they had nice 20A Cooper earless receptacles for $4. Problem solved and I don't have to hack up ots units. No part numbers on these either so I suspect they are made to order.

Hide this!Advertise here!