UK Bamboo Ply Group Buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That ply looks absolutely fantastic! How much does it cost, compared to something like 18mm birch ply or MDF? Where on earth would I get that in the UK I wonder...

Edit: £186.00 /per m²... ****.

Hi Guys,

I would love to get a few sheets of nice bamboo ply, but the cost is to high in small quantities.
I have a good source to import a pallet ( over a tonne in weight!) but I would need to share the cost in a group buy....
Does anyone here want to join?
Happy to start a new thread if the demand is there.
Cheers
Derek.

Hi Derek, interesting proposition ... Do you have a per sheet price yet based on importing a pallets worth, and what sheet dimensions please.

Final UK distribution would have to be thought about also.

Don't mind paying some premium v's 18mm 4'x8' B/B ply, plus veneer and finishing. Though the UK small quantity prices are about double what I'd consider reasonable ...

@ Dave and Chris; how much material is used in making the FHXL's?

Paul

Cost of 18mm Bamboo sheets in the UK

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying!
I am waiting on some pricing from the Chinese supplier and various shipping / freight forwarding companies.

Got to wait for all the extra costs like : shipping, import duty and VAT, plus any of the ridiculous charges that the handling agent and hangers on all seem to want to charge for importing anything these days!

I currently pay £60 plus VAT for a 2.4 meter by 1.2 meter (8 by 4 foot) sheet of 24mm (inch thick) Birch Ply ( really nice grade)
So about £25 per square meter.
The price of nice 18mm bamboo in the UK varies around £ 140 to £180 per Sq m...

My best guestimate at the moment is I can get 18mm thick Bamboo sheeting for landed for approx. half this cost, maybe a wee bit less.

So its still damn expensive but if one is spending approx. £500 or more on the drivers and crossovers for a nice pair of speakers then adding on £100 or so to go from Birch ply to Bamboo is a good deal in my opinion.
Just on looks alone its soooooo gorgeous!
The fact that it has great acoustic properties and you can use 18mm instead of 25mm is a bonus.

Cheers
Derek.

Bamboo ply varies a lot...

Hi Cal,

There is loads of bamboo ply available from China, but a lot of it has pine or soft wood core and only 3mm bamboo top, base and centre layer...
I am having some difficulty getting a 100% clear cut written quote for all solid bamboo.

Cheers
Derek.

Hi, thanks for the quick update... if your guesstimating prices to be roughly half that of UK stock, I'm certainly interested in a couple of sheets.

I'm in no rush with current speaker building, so can hold off for as long as needed. B/B ply with Zebrano wood veneer is the fall back plan.

Paul.

Stranded Bamboo Ply

Hi Dave,

Yes I think the term "stranded" when applied to solid Bamboo Ply means that whatever the total thickness of the sheet ( 18mm in this case) its made up of cross grain layers of thinner Bamboo Ply.
3mm layers bonded together looks like the best grade so far.

Just the same as good Birch Ply is made up of cross grain thin layers bonded together under high pressure.

Hope to have more details late this week or early next week.
Delivery is 6 to 8 weeks sea freight ( forget air freight!) after they receive bank transfer.
So that time plus how ever long it takes to organise about 20 guys in a group buy, assuming each guy takes an average of two sheets ( I am in for 6 sheets) each.

Cheers
Derek.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Dave,

Yes I think the term "stranded" when applied to solid Bamboo Ply means that whatever the total thickness of the sheet ( 18mm in this case) its made up of cross grain layers of thinner Bamboo Ply.
3mm layers bonded together looks like the best grade so far.

No. Typically 3 grades of bamboo ply are available. Stranded refers too the outside layers, in this case strands of bamboo held together in a matrix. Lesser grades use a laminated vertical surface layer, or horizontal layer (i wouldn't bother with the last, and the stranded is much better than commonlu used vertical). The stranded also has a much tougher surface layer so can handle more "abuse"

dave

Looking at facory machines and process's ...

Thanks Dave,

Its interesting sorting out all the quotes from the different areas of China and Asia.
I am trying to narrow it down to a top 5 or so and look in detail on their websites at the precise machinery and processes they use.

Looking for a few key stats to level the playing field :

Structure and bonding method of layers.
The highest density per square cm.
Highest grade surface ( furniture or grade A).
Consistent moisture content. ( QC and long "gentle" drying time)
Independent certification and environmental accreditation.
Length of time in business, minimum 7 years.

Its quite a complex material and manufacturing supply chain, but it will be worth it to get really high grade sheet bamboo at a realistic price.

Cheers
D.

Please elaborate

Hi Dave,

I am not sure I understand you, or if I do I disagree as to what the best product spec / construction method .

My goal in this group buy is to get the highest density per cubic cm using only compressed bamboo layers.
I believe this multi layer construction of using several layers of 3mm compressed bamboo material is the best for speaker cabinets.

Cross "weaving" ( not graining) of layers is what I am after, this will give the best torsional rigidity, highest density per cubic cm, most complex transmission path for resonance, be highly machinable and durable.

The finish will be very high quality, really stunning looks!

Sorry if this excludes you from the GB but still happy if you can send me some links to where you are getting your bamboo spec or ideas from speaker builders who have used bamboo sheet construction.
I did see a lovely open baffle speaker with planks of bamboo flooring mitred together...Not the best acoustically but OMG it looked great!

Thanks again for your help.
Derek.

Now I understand your point....

Hi Dave,

Yes I agree... But the difficult part is that its not a "given" in your :

" Given 2 materials of the same stiffness (etc), the less dense one will be better. "

Otherwise we should all just use Foam cored board ( which has its applications too!) and be done.

The lighter grade bamboo ply are not as stiff, they have a much lower torsional rigidity. Also less complex internal resonance path ways.
15mm Vs 15mm the higher density is "stiffer" every time in bamboo sheet material.
Thanks again
D.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The lighter grade bamboo ply are not as stiff, they have a much lower torsional rigidity. Also less complex internal resonance path ways.
15mm Vs 15mm the higher density is "stiffer" every time in bamboo sheet material.

So you are trying to dicern stiffness from density, why not just look at the stiffness spec?

dave

Thanks Tom.,

Kind of you to post the photo.
Not sure what that is?!
I don't like the look of it though and wouldn't want my speakers to look like that....!

Planet 10
As far as my intended use is concerned I am happy to regard stiffness and torsional rigidity as the same thing....You try and emailing a Chinese bamboo manufacturer and explaining the differences between torsional rigidity and stiffness.....!
Like mass and weight they are related but not the same.
Thanks for your input but I really don't want to turn this into a boring technical explanation of the "TS" parameters bamboo!
Anyone can Google and read up on the tech spec if they want.
This is a group buy for nice bamboo ply...

Thanks again
Derek.

I think anyone reading my posts will be quite clear that y some chineese eBamboo is concerned Effectivly
The density is quoted as standard and I have to try and explain what stiffness or torsional rigidity

Update on type of construction

Hi guys,

I can get both the stranded construction and the vertical layered construction. Booth look identical, gorgeous in fact, I will try and post some sample photos soon.

The stranded is more expensive, its going to be about £90 per square meter landed cost.
It has the highest density and is basically indestructible ie is certified to withstand outdoor abuse from everything from stiletto heals to acid rain...!

The cheaper vertical construction, about £60 per square meter landed cost, is 3 layers ( tri - ply) and is still very strong, rigid and dense, vastly superior to good birch ply and off the scale compared to MDF.

As an option, I can get the sheets lacquered in a really stunning 6 layer finish, looking into this extra cost.

Once in the UK getting 8 by 4 sheets transported is expensive...
I can get the entire pallet delivered to a local joiner ( near Cambridge) and he can half (£9) or quarter (£14) the sheets on his CNC.
This then makes it much easier and cheaper to get the panels delivered to each UK address.

If its of interest I can a quote for Mark ( my joiner) to CNC cut the sheets to suit your cabinet plans, all you would need to do is assemble the pre cut panels.
I this of interest?

Cheers
Derek.

Nice, thanks for all the hard work :) ... so rough pricing is £260 per Stranded 4'x8' sheet and £173 per vertical 3-ply 4'x8' sheet ... based on getting a full pallet into the UK.

If the vertical 3-ply is more than good enough, the lower cost might attract more interest, however will be happy with two 4'x8' sheets of either.

Personally, wouldn't want the lacquered finish, will make cutting & speaker build even harder ... Could have one panel cut into two 4'X4' pieces for 5 x satellite & subwoofer cabinets. Second sheet not sure on, would depend on which cabinets I choose; FHXL, (Super) Pensil for MA 10.3, Pensil for MA 10p ... Might just hire a van to collect full sheets and have a day out :)

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.