Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2003, 07:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default W054 Zener diode, what is it?

While fixing an old Luxman tube pre-amp (CL-32) I noticed that the turn-on delay relay was not working (the relay was going immediately on/off with the power supply), so I checked the semiconductors on the little board and found 2 bjts and this zener faulty.

The zener was marked W054 but, finding no info about it, I guessed it could be a 5.4V zener (I discarded the 54V idea because the bjts are rated 35V).
Putting a 5.6V zener at its place made things work again, but I wonder if I used the right component.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 25th December 2003, 03:40 AM   #2
KCC is offline KCC  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a similar situation here.While repairing a Yamaha M2 power amp I encountered a bad zener diode that has a "10" marking on it. I have also seen other Japanese zeners with "3" or "5" marking on them.And that's all. I assumed that they mean 3 volts ,5 volts and 10 volts accordingly. The 10 volts zener is termed as HZ6CIL in the service manual.I've checked many places and no body knows what that is. I replaced that with a 10 volts zener 1N4740 and seemed to be working so far.

Peter
Old 25th December 2003, 03:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a similar situation here.While repairing a Yamaha M2 power amp I encountered a bad zener diode that has a "10" marking on it. I have also seen other Japanese zeners with "3" or "5" marking on them.And that's all. I assumed that they mean 3 volts ,5 volts and 10 volts accordingly. The 10 volts zener is termed as HZ6CIL in the service manual.I've checked many places and no body knows what that is. I replaced that with a 10 volts zener 1N4740 and seemed to be working so far.

Peter
Old 25th December 2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Peter,
This is probably your diode: http://www.renesas.com/avs/resource/...08118_hz_l.pdf
Andrea,
W054? Canít find it

/Hugo
Old 25th December 2003, 04:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Netlist,
Thanks for the pdf. I've finally come to know the specs of this zener.Appreciated.

Peter
Old 25th December 2003, 04:31 PM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by KCC
Appreciated.
Thanks

/Hugo - only one click away...

Hide this!Advertise here!