IEC/Fuse/Switch combo... Right one? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default IEC/Fuse/Switch combo... Right one?

I grabbed this at the local surplus... And am just wanting to make sure this will work for my gainclone I am building.

It says "use only with a 250v fuse" on the door, but the guy at the shop said it was just a max rating, and this would work for my intended application.

The illumination I don't care for, and am hoping it can be bypassed and used as a switch only, sans light. So here are some photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (356.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 10th October 2013, 08:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
That will make a good fused mains input connector. you don't need to use the illumination if you don't want it. The switch looks as if it pops out, so you can take the neon out of it or just use it as a single pole switch switching the live of course!
Old 11th October 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think the switch pops out, nor am I sure how to remove the neon. Starting to wish they just had the unlit ones haha.

So using a 250v unit in 120v environment is fine, I assume these fuses are smaller? The ones in my speakers are 125v, so naturally they are too big for the drawer, and am not sure of the type of fuse I will need, hence my concern.

So the size is smaller than my other fuses, but I use a 125v fuse, correct? This seems most logical to me, but Mr. Spock I am not... I always question my logic - especially when it comes to AC mains.

Edit... Got it out... I see leads for an LED or sth...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (407.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by mortron; 11th October 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If its the type I think then it takes a standard 5 x 20mm fuse in the draw. Voltage ratings up to a maximum of 250V. As long as the fuse is suitably rated - in a 120v system then 120v fuses are fine as are higher voltage rated ones. The Amp rating is the protection offered

the switch is double pole with "usually" a neon across the poles. If you use one side only as a single pole switch then the neon will be off or if the wires are accessible then cut them and use as a double pole.

Given this is normally on the back of equipment there is probably no need to disable the light. and a 250V neon will be feeble on 120V.

Hide this!Advertise here!