AD797 overheating (ANZ flavor)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am testing an AD797ANZ in a filter circuit and I noticed that on quiescent state the amp is drawing around 60mA from the PSU (+/- 15V). This makes it heat because it has to dissipate 2W.

I built a simple circuit of inverting amp (2 10-K resistors, 0V input, 0V output) and it still does the same.

I have a bunch of 10 which I bought off eBay. They all do that.

Is this normal?

That chip is very sensitive to layout and PS bypassing issues which can make it prone to HF oscillation, and it's not really the best choice for unity gain operation. I personally don't like to buy parts from unknown/untrusted sources, lots of fake components out there. Having said all that, what kind of filter were you trying to build and what do you want it to do? A schematic would be helpful.

Mike

The power supply is a lab power supply (Agilent). I think the parts are probably fake. This happened to me a couple of times. The sellers had a very positive feedback.

I will try decoupling the power supply and see how it goes.

For the filter, it was in fact a tone control circuit. I am new at DIY audio and still at the learning stage.

Thanks all for your answers, really appreciated.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Absolutely necessary, actually.

It seems that the OP didn't bother to even look at the AD797 datasheet other than to drool over the low noise and distortion figures. It spells out some very specific recommendations for stability, among them are some strict decoupling requirements.

This is too harsh - we don't even know what the cause is! You judge without having a clue.

Jan

This is too harsh - we don't even know what the cause is! You judge without having a clue.

Jan

In retrospect, a little harsh. But he did say...

I will try decoupling the power supply and see how it goes.
Which I interpretted as meaning that the chip had no local decoupling and he was relying only on clean power from the PS. It is a common enough mistake for a newbie especially since many simplified schematics don't show the decoupling (it's assumed) or even the power supply connections.

In any case, the reading the applications information in the datasheet for AD797 is a little scary. It frequently both states and implies that instabilty can be easily achieved.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.