Russian Pots Good/Bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are a fair number of Russian pots (Cold War plunder!) available for cheap on E-pay. I have taken the plunge and gotten some, and took the liberty of skinning one to look at the resistive element, which appears to be generously deposited carbon. It actually looks pretty decent for a carbon pot, and universes better than those cheap little open frame one-turn trimmers laid down on phenolic board (but then, what isn't?). Has anyone actually used some of these? It would be interesting to know if these are an inexpensive reasonable quality alternative to a premium carbon pot like those from PEC.

Going on repairing many Russian built transistor radios and amplifiers, years ago, I have never had to replace a pot that was made in USSR or the Eastern Block. I have just bought another batch of 6L6GC valves (NOS) from Slovenia. They are Military Grade and good quality, thick cathodes,with graphite coated anodes. They last longer and give more power than USA built 6L6GC;s.

Here's a picture of the pot I eviscerated. Overall construction is quite nice, with a heavy carbon track and a well-constructed wiper assembly. I'm leaning towards using a pair of these in law-fake mode in my vacuum state integrated amp.

Attachments

• R_Pot.jpg
    R_Pot.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 110
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.