Good filtered IEC power connections chassis mount

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'll easily see the CLC values of the 2nd one:

$T2eC16NHJF4FFksJJyL-BR%29N1nGBCQ~~60_57.JPG

Sadly I cannot see it on the first one. The higher the C and L values the better the filtering.
A 6 A or 10 A rating will be sufficient for most power amps.

I would end up needing a total of 4, 1 for a pre amp, and the other 3 for 3 power amps. The second one listed only has a 5 amp rating. I figured 5 amp should still be more then enough for the pre amp. The tabs wouldn't bother me as my pre amp has a cut out for that type of iec plug. I purchased one of the first ones. I figured for 3 dollars I cant go wrong. Know if the 5 amp ones will work for the power amps I should get 3 of those now since they are on sale.

Well, received the first one. I ordered it based on the snap in style mount as I didnt want to have to drill any wholes. But turns out it was slightly larger then the one I had in there so I had to file some down. But I started looking for one of these as I had a hum in my pre amp, in the process of installing this I re soldered a few spots, and found out that I had my transformer wired wrong. So all that got fixed this iec plug got installed and bam no more hum this pre sounds great.

When choosing a filtered socket, choose one that is sized right. If your equipment will draw .5 A, choose a 1 A or so filter. Don't use a 10 A filter thinking it's even better, because it will actually do a much worse job. An equal size/cost filter with a lower current rating generally has a higher inductance in the filters, and this results in better filtering.

I thought this was a DIY forum :p

I found if you compare a 3Amp unit from a number of manufacturers each one will have different values for the caps and choke. In the end i found a lot of information in this thread Felix project ended up making my own version of the felix filter using parts recycled from a bunch of old ATX power supplys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.