SMD size copper foil capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm mainly looking for SMD size types - and possibly small size copper foil/polypropylene/PTFE capacitors ...

Cheers,

Jesper

Hi Jesper,

I have been searching for the same kind of capacitors and I expect for the same usage. I can send you some samples of the four candidates I have settled on - two copper foil and two silver mica - no SMD parts, but relatively small in size and if hand soldering it is easy to use SMD pads on the PCB.

Really? Blind, level matched, ability to switch fast?

(you don't have to just ABX with short listening/fast switching but it does improve discrimination of some sound differences in controlled testing - so you really need the capability so you can compare on several time scales)

and its likely the actual inner electrodes in monolithic mlcc don't have Ni, some are even Ag – but there may be a barrier layer of Ni plating under the terminal plating to prevent leaching during soldering

Last edited:
how can a bit of nickel in a small cap affect an A.C. signal?
apparently in a way that doesn't show in "conventional measurements" - like harmonic distortion at -140 dB down

but there are components made for NMR machines – with no (ferro)magnetic materials at all

I will simply quote the results from Samuel Groner's thesis.

Distortion of capacitors at +20dBu on the capacitor, 1kHz

Polysyrene LCR components FSCEX 10nF - no visible harmonics above -153.4dB noise floor (none nada zilch)

Vishay MKP1837 PP film - same

Vishay COG/NPO - same, noise floor -142.5dB (ceramic BTW, this was 1nF which I assume is why the noise floor was higher)

Dick, I'm not being a trouble maker and I'm asking nice could you please show me schematically how to put a sine wave through a C with rectifying defects at the input to get the cancellation of distortion.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi All,

- have just had a quite special morning riding my bike along the coast line of Aarhus where I live. The sun was rising and reflected against a thin layer of clouds with yellow/orange pastel colors. Wow! - I really find myself gifted living where I do ...

And then about the capacitors:

@RayCtech: Thanks (once more) for offering to help me with components :) I'll send you a PM about it shortly.

Interesting - do you have any info / links?

I've found these from Vishay that appear to be non-magnetic and possibly also have an interesting termination ("noble metals"):

http://www.vishay.com/docs/45128/vjnonmagneticseries.pdf

They're available in C0G types but as far as I can see not in a copper foil. Max value is 39 nF for the C0G types.

@jcx:

Originally Posted by scott wurcer .... I will simply quote the results from Samuel Groner's thesis.

Hi jcx ... Might you have a link to Samuel Groner's "thesis"? I searched for it yesterday but didn't really find any ...

And then a thanks to all for considering my question by answering ;)

Jesper

apparently in a way that doesn't show in "conventional measurements" - like harmonic distortion at -140 dB down
So nothing that is going to be audible.

NMR machines create very strong magnetic fields, hence you don't want ferro-magnetic materials in there, audio is a bit different.
I would love to see some hard evidence of such a tint amount of nickel affecting the sound, in a way that is audible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.