Repurposed enclosures and more... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2013, 10:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

An X-box 360 chassis has given up a fair few brackets for a number of small jobs. They are crimped into shape and the angle bits are already formed. Just cut round the bit you want and use it.
The ammo box I have got handy is very heavy and once had 50mm shells in it. It is like a large steel suit case. It would not be any good for anything that has to move on a regular basis as it is far too heavy to go any ware in a hurry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7308.JPG (74.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 20th October 2013, 03:17 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have two G5 cases I plan on using as mono blocks. I got them a used electronics and recycling store between 30 and 40 bucks. You can basically gut them and have the lid still lock which is a plus. I also like the option of laying them on there sides which they look really cool
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I like to cruise the shelves at the Michigan State University surplus yard. Not only can you find useful test equipment and other things, but I like to buy old fairly useless test equipment or even just control boxes for things - and then repurpose the item. I am building a small Champ-like guitar amp into an old ph bridge from a chemistry lab. Mighty pieces of lab gear may have nifty looking control panels full of knobs and indicators. Turning one into a distortion box is fun. And i can leave the control labels as they are. Old Polygraph machines are FULL of modules and controls. And CHEAP.

I bet a local college or university where you are has a similar disposal facility. They sell me an old Eico or Heathkit VTVM for $15, and that is $15 they woulodn;t have if they tossed it into the land fill. And nice office chairs for $5.
Old 24th October 2013, 06:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I keep trying to get organforum newbies to buy a VTVM and trace AC signals through their circuit, but they insist on buying a new set of tubes from e-bay. else a whole new expired capacitor organ. The DVM's I own, don't read accurately on music.
I went to the wrong college. I met my best friend from the college years there behind the chemistry building, dumpster diving for electronics and other surplus. A pair of 24" channel-lock pliers helps eliminate stained clothes.
My best finds were at a snack food factory in the tip before they hauled it out to the haulaway dumpster, but now that I don't work, I'm not allowed access to any factory. Lots of stainless steel enclosure surplus is there. I salvaged a green LED from a dead VF motor drive Sunday, 6 days before the new ones are due from Mouser, but it was too internally corroded by lye wash to work. Lots of 600 PSI lye squirted around in a food plant. That is how the electronics and electric panels end up in the tip.

Hide this!Advertise here!