Travel speaker design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2013, 03:48 AM   #11
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenzal View Post
everyone has to start somewhere though no? why just settle for the minimum? obviously there is alot to speaker design and im not going to get every little detail that i may need from this forum,im just looking for a rough direction, thats why there are many other resources on the internet that i can also use.

designing only a package is a pretty cynical view when i can try to understand how a speaker works and incorporate that too.

In a real life application with the time i have i have no doubt that there will be problems with the design (it is afterall just a concept/prototype) but if i want to continue the assignment, I could further refine it where needed.
Hi,

You won't even scratch the surface of the knowledge needed nevermind
"get every little detail" asking asking for guidance here. I assume your
course is "design", not "engineering" and loudspeaker design is mainly
"engineering". You are way out of your depth.

Come up with a concept like "expanding" portable speakers :

Click the image to open in full size.

You would be quids in as a "product" designer. It addresses a
fundamental basic limitation of small speakers, the box volume.

Nobody would care if you ripped the gubbins out of a larger speaker
to build your prototype, that is not the point at all of the design.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 25th September 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 25th September 2013, 07:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

i think you've misunderstood my aim for this project, im not trying to make the perfect sounding speaker for an audiophile. Im trying to get a basic understanding of speakers so i can have some background knowledge of what is plausible and what is not when making speakers.
I dont have anything against reusing another speaker i just feel that it would limit me to a certain format.
This is a design course however i do have engineering units and I will be in contact with engineers and other people that can help me with the electronics of it. As for acoustics, this is no a major concern for this design, however i would like to try and get an understanding of basic principles where possible.
Old 25th September 2013, 08:40 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Im trying to get a basic understanding of speakers so i can have some background knowledge of what is plausible and what is not when making speakers.
Look up Hoffman's Iron Law (after J.A. Hoffman ) for starters.

Roughly, Hoffman's Iron Law states that the efficiency of a woofer system is directly proportional to its cabinet volume and the cube of its cutoff frequency. *

Which will bring you quickly to Thiele and Small

(*Tom Danley side stepped this once with the "servo drive" which bent some of the physics.)
Old 26th September 2013, 04:54 AM   #14
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Start by reading all the books you can find on the subject. Then hunt down forum, mailing list, and newsgroup postings by real speaker designers.

Play with loudspeaker modelling software to get a feel for what Hoffman's Iron Law feels like using real drivers that you could actually buy. If possible, model some commercial speakers and see how the advertised specs compare with the modelled performance.

Really, for a job like this you should hire a speaker designer first, then have a "product designer" work under them. There are an awful lot of real world products that have been designed by people with inadequate engineering knowledge, particularly when it comes to heat management. Not a consideration with low-powered speakers, but speakers do involve a slew of technical compromises plus knowledge of human hearing and the program material.

Last edited by dangus; 26th September 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 26th September 2013, 06:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ok...the last two comments would lead to another level ( I recently looked at the PE techtalk and there's a nice diagram as a sticky thread about speaker families)
OP question is similar to what I had explained in a email exchange, a year ago. This friend of a friend is a student in Design, and after one or two mails I captured what he had in mind: the system for attaching the cable to the box...no binding posts but magnetic. I had a Monacor SPX-30 in mind. Researching further...and later , through this site I saw a project (cheap trick) for a 2.1 system employing such kind of speaker
PLUS two woofers in an enclosure....working in stereo ?? with included passive crossover AND a pair of tweeters...so a simple fullrange isn't quite adeguate for certain kind of listenings...and I would add: I agree !
Old 27th September 2013, 02:10 AM   #16
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i think you've misunderstood my aim for this project, im not trying to make the perfect sounding speaker for an audiophile. Im trying to get a basic understanding of speakers so i can have some background knowledge of what is plausible and what is not when making speakers.
Hi,

Well you have to very good at joining the dots and for most that takes
a lot longer than you might think given all the misinformation out their.

FWIW electonics experts who know nothing about acoustics make
terrible speaker designers, they do "right", and completely wrong.

rgds, sreten.

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy
(see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)
The Speaker Building Bible
Zaph|Audio
Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter
http://audio.claub.net/Simple%20Loud...ign%20ver2.pdf
FRD Consortium tools guide
Designing Crossovers with Software Only
RJB Audio Projects
Jay's DIY Loudspeaker Projects
Speaker Design Works
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655
A Speaker project
DIY Loudspeakers
Humble Homemade Hifi
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Music and Design

Great free SPICE Emulator : SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Software Folder

Hide this!Advertise here!