Toroidal transformer question - different outputs

I'm not an electrical engineer. Can I have different secondary outputs like the one I made in the image? 16V, 30V, and 420V. I know you can do 12+12, 15+15, etc. but I've never seen 15+30. So I'm assuming it's not possible and that you'll need separate transformers for different loads?

Edit: Made an error. It's suppose to say 420V and 16V, not 450V and 15V.

Attachments

• transformer.png
    transformer.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
It is done all the time. A solid state amp will need a split power supply for 30/40/50/80/whatever, so there will be windings for that. The the low voltage circuits will probably want +/-15v. Most any stereo receiver will have that.

Tube amps will want the high voltage for B+, 6v for the heaters, maybe low voltage DC for relays or solid state circuits and LEDs, whatever. In pro audio we use them all the time.

Thanks! I'm happy I've learned something new today :) I was really worried about requiring different transformers because that would mean bigger chassis = higher costs, and I prefer to keep the dimensions small. Good to know I can do all that with one transformer.

But... will customs cost significantly more than off-the-shelf types?

Definitely.
Some DIY'ers wind their own, or modify an existing transformer by adding or removing turns.
Unfortunately, I'm not very comfortable DIYing a toroidal transformer. It's extremely hazardous if not done correctly.

looks like it could be a 450V tube amp trafo, with additional voltages for fixed bias :confused:

more in general, be aware that various windings could be for different currents
Here's the schematic if you're curious. http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps8g.pdf
It requires a transformer that outputs 420V and 16V.

As for the 30V, it's for this one http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/s22_sch.pdf

Has anyone ordered custom toroidal transformers? Do companies charge additional fees for additional outputs or inputs?

Any transformer that requires a modification will require an operative to pick off a standard production item and intervene with time and materials that will cost a lot more than the standard item.

Any custom wind is expensive compared to the "off the shelf" standard transformers.

If you can't find an exact "off the shelf" standard transformer, then you will almost certainly find that buying two, or more, standard transformers to meet your exact requirement will be cheaper than buying a one off custom wind.

I'm not an electrical engineer. Can I have different secondary outputs like the one I made in the image? 16V, 30V, and 420V. I know you can do 12+12, 15+15, etc. but I've never seen 15+30. So I'm assuming it's not possible and that you'll need separate transformers for different loads?

Edit: Made an error. It's suppose to say 420V and 16V, not 450V and 15V.

you have a traffo meant for a tube amp by the looks of it....
what are you trying to build anyway?

headfi
I'm sorry to say, but you confuse me

you ask questions about this trafo ... but you have a curcuit for it
I don't understand ?
I know what the requirements are. It was just that I was unsure if I can have different voltage outputs from a single transformer. Come to think of it, the schematic is showing different outputs from a single transformer; it should've been obvious haha :rolleyes:

Oh I made a big error in the image I posted. It should've been 2 x 420V, 2 x 30V, and 16V CT

you have a traffo meant for a tube amp by the looks of it....
what are you trying to build anyway?
Electrostatic headphone amplifier

It's there in the schematics. I need 450V and 15V. This one I have no choice but to go custom so a group buy is in order, but that's for the future as I have other projects to finish.

As for the dual 30V, scratch that. Too expensive to integrate it for a custom transformer. Going off-the-shelf with this one.

Transformers

To Do It As Easily as Possible You could take A HV Transformer With The Right 420 Volts Or what it was That You Needed,

And All those Low Voltage Windings You Can Just Wind Yopurself...

And NO

It is Not in the least anyways more dangerous Winding your Own Low Voltage secondarys then fiddling Around with 400V+ high voltages..

I would Just take The HV Tranformer that you Need'ed,

And as one gets just about o.7 Volts AC Per Winding Turn Around The Transformer Core,

Then You Can Take A Good sized wire that will tolerate the current you need and also that the Xformer Has the Capacity To Supply that Current....

So You needed 15 Volts.?? Well Then You Take The rigt Sized Wire And Wind your Own 15-16 Turns Around the Core And You will Have Made Yourself A Around 10.5 Volt's AC Secondary,

Witch should Give You, AC x 1.41 = DC VoLts :) No Problem..

in your Case 14 ish Volts DC.......
Easy Peacy... :)

Years To Late :)

Hi Kodabmx
Well You're Quite Right About That, it was an early Morning while i was gettin my morning Coffie, I was'nt quite awake since Only when i had wrote the reply and sendt it, i discovered That The Thread Was Years Upon years Old...

And It was a Little Bit Like Aaarg, Dont they know it's THAT easy.. :) if no one else will tell him i will,

And that is a feeling i get quite often when i read in different threads & Reply's, wich come Up From Different searches in google when I'm in reasearch mode and try to Google different Audio related subjects, And Often if it is something that i dont know or needs help to Understand, 9 out of Ten No one else have the knowledeg to tell me either...

I Have read in this forum on & off for the Last 25-3o Years, But have only recently Got Myself My Own Profile, So i'm Fearly New To Different FORUM in's & out's :)

The last few Years i have Learned
(( often in sadly Dissapointing incidences )) That I'm For The Most part at Least As knowledgable As Anybody else who's Calling Themselves For Guru's Or Audio God's Or What Not..

And That might Relate to the fact that My Learning Curve Begun In the Wrong end, so to speak, and My learning curve was More vertical then anything Else, since i Allready at an Age of 13 Years had built my own 2 Watt FM Transmitter, And that forced me to learn About All kinds of RF things, Admittence, conductance, kirchows Curreent Law's.... :)

And The Three Terms That Just About Any Electronic design Boils Down To, R, L, & C
And a few years after that i Also built my first Power Amp, It had Bandwidth Up To Impressive 10 Mhz, And used A Special Cross Coupled CFP Mosfet Output That had 2o Db Less RAW Distortion then just about any other Output stage Topology....

And Trust Me On This Kodabmx There Is NO MAGIC IN AUDIO

Althoug certain Companies seems to try to promote that AS A FACT so that they can Charge Outrages money for a 2 feet AC 110/220 Volt Cable, And Will want us to Belive That Their cable can make Magic For Sound, And That Those several hundred yards from the house's to the nearest substation with Mostly Aluminium Cables, and the several Ohms of impedence this makes has no impact and dont exist Yeah Right... :)

Once You Understand The DYNAMIC Interactions of the three terms R, L, C, that make up ALL.!!!! Electronics,

Then You Understand so So Much More and you Also inherently.!!

Understand that a 1 Kohm resistor is at 10 Mhz Suddenly Only 400 ohms with J Numerators Like J+Ohms For Inductive reactance And so on and on... :)

Also i Have a great Passion And some understanding of Quantum Physics, Astronomy, Astrology, Organic Chemistry & Of Coarse The Ultimate quality sound reproduction.. :)

Anyhow Kodabmx

You mentioned something about PCB's, Tube Auido Kit's And such.?

And That Peaked my Interest... :) :)

Not Much i need realy Since i make my Own just about anything, DAC'c, AD Converters, Buffers, PreAmps, And PowerAmps Of Mostly Hybrid Tube/Mosfet & Tube/BJT.....

my good i have almost wrote a book... :)

But Some Ready made powersupply boards, Current sources, Voltage regulators and the like Could be interesting if it where the right likable design...

Do you possible have an url adress Kodabmx, where i could have a look at what you have to offer....

May We All in the end be allowed into Hi-Fi Valhalla...... :)