Stupid Question- How To Use Ball Bearings? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2003, 09:38 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to officeboy
Wouldn’t a pure titanium drill bit be way to soft to drill anything other then plastic?

I’ve always been partial to cobalt bits, but really for nothing other then the pretty blue shine.
Old 12th December 2003, 09:40 PM   #22
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I never thought I would see the day that someone would lecture Peter Daniel on how to machine metal.
Old 12th December 2003, 09:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm using titunium bits for PCBs
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th December 2003, 10:10 PM   #24
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Peter is right pretty much all the way....As Peter I too have all the cutting edge tools I could ever imagine...but for DIY handcrafting a usual cheapo HSS tool is mostly to be preferred, since most of the hardcore optimized tools are made for CNC machining....and may be even dangerous if used in a press drill or a handheld power drill. The sharpness of the optimized tools and the cutting angles are definitely no good for DIY....but naturally, if you got a CNC machining center or the like...theyre a bliss.

As for cutting speed...its really quite simple. For a reasonable quality of aluminium the recommended cutting speed for HSS is 60-90 metres per minute...the formula for this is :

cutting speed, divided by the diametre of the tool in milimetres, times 1000 divided by PI.

For aluminium the cutting fluid should be alcohol for drilling and tapping.

Theese guidelines goes as well for milling and turning.

Magura
Old 12th December 2003, 11:34 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Coming back to those infamed by Schematic DeWalt bits.

Most diy-ers here probably don't have much idea where to get proper tooling for, let's say, making recessed holes for Allen type screws. Even if they did, the pro bits would be much more expensive than stuff you can purchase in hardware store, like HD or Lowes.

I say again, DeWalt bits (Bullets) are the best choice not only for regular drilling, but also for more specialized type of holes. And if used properly, they last longer than you'll ever need them for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw.jpg (28.8 KB, 141 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th December 2003, 01:39 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

sometimes when I wanna "drill" a tube socket hole...I just use a punch...I'm lazy...
Old 13th December 2003, 01:47 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
That just confirms that you have no clue what you are talking about. No wonder your bits get dulled too early.
I don't remember the exact feeds and speeds... I know the 1/4HP drill probably wouldn't handle it anyway, I had to step it down to 600RPM to get a good cut on steel with that bit.

Quote:
But I also have some pure titanium drill bits.

Tim, resident of rec.crafts.metalworking so tries to pretend to know at least a LITTLE about m/w...
Old 13th December 2003, 03:15 AM   #28
eStatic is offline eStatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
...but for DIY handcrafting a usual cheapo HSS tool is mostly to be preferred, since most of the hardcore optimized tools are made for CNC machining....and may be even dangerous if used in a press drill or a handheld power drill.
For aluminium the cutting fluid should be alcohol for drilling and tapping.

Theese guidelines goes as well for milling and turning.

Magura
Some questions from a wood-worker who has not much of a clue when it comes to metal:

I often use cobalt alloy end mills in my drill press on wood and Al. Is this dangerous?

I didn't know this but it's very good news to me as oil contamination of wood after milling or drilling Al has been an occasional problem for me. But there are a lot of different alcohols. Got any specific recommendations?

Thanks

eStatic

(sorry for all the posts but I'm laid up for a few days and this is a great place)
Old 13th December 2003, 04:19 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Yes, very dangerous. The taper which holds the chuck in place isn't made to handle sideways forces, nor are the bearings.
Sooner or later you'll have it come loose and a few pounds of spinning, flying chuck coming at you...

Tim
Old 13th December 2003, 03:42 PM   #30
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eStatic

I didn't know this but it's very good news to me as oil contamination of wood after milling or drilling Al has been an occasional problem for me. But there are a lot of different alcohols. Got any specific recommendations?

In the past ive tried different types of alcohol......anything from vodka to carburator liquid will cover your needs. dont use rum...thats vandalism

Magura

Hide this!Advertise here!