Stupid Question- How To Use Ball Bearings? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2003, 05:00 AM   #11
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

small pillow block bearings are available- I found some at a surplus place for 1/4" shaft. The shaft is a friction fit in the center of the bearing. It is really smooth - especially with a massive knob. It's true that you don't need anything this fancy though. Try McMaster Carr or however it's spelled
Old 12th December 2003, 06:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The absolutely easiest way to do it is by using those plastic washers from Home Depot. Outside dia. 1/2" , inside dia. 1/4".

If your front panel is thick enough, drill a hole with this 1/2" bit (DeWalt, available from HD as well) to the depth of two stacked washers or slightly more. Enlarge pilot hole with a bit size slightly bigger than 1/4". Glue both washers into opening with crazy glue. I'm using two washers as one is sometimes too loose (too much play on a shaft).

Get a 1/4 brass rod from Home Depot and use it for shaft extender. You may use a plastic pipe (used for water connection and available from HD as well) to connect shaft to the extender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pot.jpg (24.3 KB, 318 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th December 2003, 05:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
That drill set sucks for metal. *Reqires* a 3/16" predrilled hole for it. Get a real 135° tipped drill, real highspeed steel, not the Made In China crap.

Tim
Old 12th December 2003, 05:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

For your info, that's a German made, titanium drill set.

I've been using those drill bits for years and find them the best for a job (and readily available). And I don't mind drilling a pilot hole. Actually, to make an accurate 1/2" hole you NEED a piloted drill bit. And I'm not aware where you can find cheaper, good quality, flat tip drill bits, than those "Bullet" set from DeWalt?

You probably didn't use a drill press too often?

135° tip is no good here.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th December 2003, 05:24 PM   #15
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

You drill 1/2" holes with no pilot?
Old 12th December 2003, 05:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Working in an aircraft industry, allows me to have access to all sort of cutting edge tools. Like for instance, that quality, high speed drill bit, marked as 561-11-15 mk27. I still prefer to use DeWalt crap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr.jpg (30.4 KB, 218 views)
Old 12th December 2003, 06:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

WoW~!! Nice drill...I really use crap drills, but I get to use a bench drill that helps keep my work centred and gives me neat holes...I found that adding oil to the drill if u're drilling acrylic (lexan) gives it a smooth finishing inside..anybody else got any drill tips??
Old 12th December 2003, 08:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
anybody else got any drill tips??
If possible, don't clamp your piece to the table (unless you drill thin sheet metal). You prevent self centering action of a drill this way. But this is possibly dangerous, as the bit might grab the piece and damage your fingers, happened to me few times. What I do now is to clamp a wooden block, beside my piece, and this block prevents the piece from rotating.

I understand it may be a controversial advice, but it always worked well for me.

I use vice very rarely.
Old 12th December 2003, 10:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
For your info, that's a German made, titanium drill set.
Still cheap enough to be suspicious. I've broken and dulled several of them doing what should be normal service. And no drill bits are titanium!!!!!! Argh!!!!! It's a titanium Nitride coating to reduce friction!

Quote:
And I'm not aware where you can find cheaper, good quality, flat tip drill bits, than those "Bullet" set from DeWalt?

You probably didn't use a drill press too often?

135° tip is no good here.
The classic saying goes:
Time, money, quality. Pick two.

Cheap != quality. You get what you pay for. Etc. For one thing, you probably shouldn't be looking in Home Despot. (Think about it, big box store, reminiscent of Walmart eh? Doesn't exactly ring of quality.)

I use the drill press for everything I can... much easier going and doesn't kill the cordless' battery. An invaluable tool.

As far as 135° tips go, I think the 1/4" drill (which had to replace that set's original 1/4" bit because it was ground so badly it wouldn't even touch a pine board, let alone steel or aluminum plate!) which I use works very nicely. If nothing else it won't pull though all at once, and that would be a rather disturbing thing to have happen at 1,500 RPM drilling a 1/2" hole in say, bronze!

Tim
Old 12th December 2003, 10:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sch3mat1c

at 1,500 RPM drilling a 1/2" hole in say, bronze!
That just confirms that you have no clue what you are talking about. No wonder your bits get dulled too early.

Think: Time = Quality

Although 1.750 RPM is a recommended speed for soft metals (on a back of my drill press) I never go more than 600RPM when using 1/2" bit. Anything more than that seems simply unreasonable.

And of course I know those DeWalt bits are not made of titanium, but that's a common name for them. But I also have some pure titanium drill bits.

Hide this!Advertise here!