Stupid Question- How To Use Ball Bearings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter is right pretty much all the way....As Peter I too have all the cutting edge tools I could ever imagine...but for DIY handcrafting a usual cheapo HSS tool is mostly to be preferred, since most of the hardcore optimized tools are made for CNC machining....and may be even dangerous if used in a press drill or a handheld power drill. The sharpness of the optimized tools and the cutting angles are definitely no good for DIY....but naturally, if you got a CNC machining center or the like...theyre a bliss.

As for cutting speed...its really quite simple. For a reasonable quality of aluminium the recommended cutting speed for HSS is 60-90 metres per minute...the formula for this is :

cutting speed, divided by the diametre of the tool in milimetres, times 1000 divided by PI.

For aluminium the cutting fluid should be alcohol for drilling and tapping.

Theese guidelines goes as well for milling and turning.

Magura

Coming back to those infamed by Schematic DeWalt bits.

Most diy-ers here probably don't have much idea where to get proper tooling for, let's say, making recessed holes for Allen type screws. Even if they did, the pro bits would be much more expensive than stuff you can purchase in hardware store, like HD or Lowes.

I say again, DeWalt bits (Bullets) are the best choice not only for regular drilling, but also for more specialized type of holes. And if used properly, they last longer than you'll ever need them for.

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 159
Peter Daniel said:
That just confirms that you have no clue what you are talking about. No wonder your bits get dulled too early.

I don't remember the exact feeds and speeds... I know the 1/4HP drill probably wouldn't handle it anyway, I had to step it down to 600RPM to get a good cut on steel with that bit.

But I also have some pure titanium drill bits.

:bigeyes:

Tim, resident of rec.crafts.metalworking so tries to pretend to know at least a LITTLE about m/w...

Magura said:
...but for DIY handcrafting a usual cheapo HSS tool is mostly to be preferred, since most of the hardcore optimized tools are made for CNC machining....and may be even dangerous if used in a press drill or a handheld power drill.
For aluminium the cutting fluid should be alcohol for drilling and tapping.

Theese guidelines goes as well for milling and turning.

Magura

Some questions from a wood-worker who has not much of a clue when it comes to metal:

I often use cobalt alloy end mills in my drill press on wood and Al. Is this dangerous?

I didn't know this but it's very good news to me as oil contamination of wood after milling or drilling Al has been an occasional problem for me. But there are a lot of different alcohols. Got any specific recommendations?

Thanks

eStatic

(sorry for all the posts but I'm laid up for a few days and this is a great place)

eStatic said:

I didn't know this but it's very good news to me as oil contamination of wood after milling or drilling Al has been an occasional problem for me. But there are a lot of different alcohols. Got any specific recommendations?

In the past ive tried different types of alcohol......anything from vodka to carburator liquid will cover your needs. dont use rum...thats vandalism

Magura :)

At the Risk of Interrupting

Hey, that's all great advice, thanks everyone.

Actually, now might be a good time to mention that the shaft is going to both rotate and pivot vertically. So its going to be mounted on a hinge of some sort. So I guess I could drill a hole in a panel, mount the shaft, mount the panel on a hinge, and mount that inside the chassis, or I could just mount a pillow block on a hinge in the chassis.

Since this is DIY, I've stumbled across a sealed ball bearing shaft that I can mount onto a hinge, and it cost $.99. This is a little long (2") and complete overkill, it also requires me to make a custom bracket, but hey, that's what DIY is all about.

I'm probably going to try this out, you all can make fun of me later, when I post the completed project......if I ever finish!

No roller Blade is ever junk...I'm a rollerblading fan...hehe...I blade everydae...dun junk it...unless ur wheels are really worn out...seriously though...I think a plastic bush woulr really do well...you dun have to go all the way and use a ball race...if u're really despo and have some specs and stuff..I suggest you look at RS (radio Spares) not Radio-Shiok....Under Industrial Products you have a pretty good range of ball races and bearings...
www.rswww.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.