looking for mid priced and awesome sounding coupling caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking around for some mid priced coupling caps to roll into my Aikido Pre-amp. I really like the sound of the AuriCaps but their prices have gone up a lot recently. I know that there must be other companies out there that make great sounding caps but don't know what to try. I would like to find something better than Orange Drops and willing to pay about $5 each or so.

So, what else is out there to try and where can I get some?

The first and probably most important rule for coupling caps is that they MUST pass the wanted signal bandwidth.

That leads directly to the next rule.
The coupling cap must not act as a filter to the wanted signal bandwidth.

Now that you know that the filter effect of the capacitor must be outside the wanted signal bandwidth, you need to decide how far away from the signal bandwidth that the filtering effect has become F-3dB.

Add all that together and you now know what value of capacitor is required, then you can select a type to suit the coupling duty and the value.

Do that and implement it.
Now measure the signal voltage across the coupling capacitor.
The closer to zero that voltage, the closer to zero is the distortion added to the signal.
No signal voltage across the coupling capacitor equals no added distortion.

No added distortion meets DF96's rule
I prefer caps which don't sound at all.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.