Enclosure ideas needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I have this huge toroid transformer with 5 or 6 different outputs, and was thinking of mounting it in a nice enclosure and add fuse, powerbutton, outputs for all voltages and such to it.
abyhuzub.jpg

I need some ideas for a nice enclosure for it - the transformer is 120mm high and have a radius of 160mm, so it's pretty massive.
I like the looks of the Hammond 145x enclosures, so something similar would be nice... but all ideas are welcome :)

---
Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy [Tab] far far away using Tapatalk HD

Those stamped plates look undersized to me.

...and I just like 19" rack mounted gear.

I'd mount it inside of a short section of very large rectangular aluminum extrusion, so that it's REALLY well supported at both ends of the big thru-bolt. Then I'd mount that aluminum frame onto a very very thick but otherwise standard aluminum 19" rack panel, with the transformer as close to that front panel as possible.

When you get to this size, standard rack panel dimensions are your friend. Even if you then mount it in a pretty wooden lay-down box or an aluminum enclosure, rather than an upright rack. Someday you may change your mind or add to it, repurpose it...and then the rack dimension becomes VERY convenient.

Then you can make rack-mount guages, rack-mount rectifiers, rack-mount regulators, rack-mount filters, rack-mount capacitance multipliers, and of course rack-mount amps, rack-mount active (or passive) crossovers, etc.

Whatever you do, anticipate the worst and build it even stronger. Things DO get dropped or fall off a table or workbench. I have a really nice 3-channel high-end amp that had each channel's torroid power transformer mounted vertically at the front of each channel's circuit board. Sometime in shipping it got dropped and the transformer bolts took out the front circuit board for the fancy display; it was so heavy it just bent the heavy steel frame 1/2 inch. It would have lived if they'd left 1/2 more clearance to allow for the bending from severe abuse, or built the mounts much stonger...if they'd used aluminum it could have been much stronger for the same weight. I have another bass guitar amp where the output transformer core was welded in-place and the welds broke, and the trans broke free and smashed all the tubes. So over-design the transformer mounts; way too much over-design overkill is just enough when it comes to mounting transformers IMHO.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Whatever you do, anticipate the worst and build it even stronger. Things DO get dropped or fall off a table or workbench.

Yes, and for this reason alone, you should consider putting it on casters and always keep it on the floor.

Perhaps orient it so its axis is horizontal and make an A-frame where the mounting bolt is at the top of the A-frame triangle?

Certainly not snake oil, but it doesn't sound like a cost effective substitute for a nice thick steel box...? (esp if you poke holes in it!)
I wasn't going to poke hole in this (or even buy it) - I already have some metal plates I was thinking of using.
It's probably true that a nice steel box would be better, but I haven't found any yet :(
Also, shipping for a steel box to Sweden would probably be ridiculous...

Anyway, if you know of some nice suitable steel box, feel free to show me :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.