What Cable is This? Wanna make interconnects. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2013, 01:43 PM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

oh sure, if we are talking about coax that would be just stupid, but we were commenting on the cable posted, which has 4 conductors plus coax. my comments relate mainly to shielded twisted pair. saying to connect coax ground at one end only is totally insane.
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
A shield connected at one end will reduce hum by acting as an electrostatic screen. It won't stop RF, but if you wanted to stop RF you would use coax.
I thought it was the other way round. It will stop RF, which is electric field. But to stop hum, which is magnetic field, you need to connect both ends of the shield in order for the cancellation current to circle.
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

My advice would be to use PTFE cable simply because the insulation doesn't shrink back or turn into a melted mess. Very useful if you are a beginner to soldering. RG-316 or RG-179 is easy to get hold of and inexpensive.

Last edited by richie00boy; 2nd August 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2nd August 2013, 04:29 PM   #24
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought it was the other way round. It will stop RF, which is electric field. But to stop hum, which is magnetic field, you need to connect both ends of the shield in order for the cancellation current to circle.
RF is electromagnetic, so can be picked up from either field. The twisting, if done properly, will reduce magnetic pickup. As the signal is not balanced there is still the possibility of electric field pick up which the shield will stop.

Hum fields can be electric or magnetic.

However, my advice is to use cable which matches the connections at each end. If unbalanced, like RCA, use coax. If balanced then use shielded twisted pair.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:18 PM   #25
4PLaY is offline 4PLaY  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I actually do have one of these too:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:23 PM   #26
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Why not just buy these "SWAN" brand twin coax from DEECO and be done with it?
no need to whack your brain over some copper wires wrapped in plastic, it tell you and many here will agree, there is no magic in those.....
FWIW, these "SWAN" cables are japan made, i was told...
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:34 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Does having balanced and unbalanced connections have anything to do with the type of equipment used (e.g. USBDAC to AMP)? or just the input output ports (e.g. RCA, XLR,)?

Does it mean that since I'm using RCA connectors, this means I have unbalanaced connections already therefore I should just use COAX? Then if so, what is the advantage or disadvantage with using shielded twisted pairs on RCA interconnects?
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:37 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Why not just buy these "SWAN" brand twin coax from DEECO and be done with it?
no need to whack your brain over some copper wires wrapped in plastic, it tell you and many here will agree, there is no magic in those.....
FWIW, these "SWAN" cables are japan made, i was told...

Seems you know exactly what these are AJT. this is also a SWAN and it is a twin coax. It also does say "made in japan" printed on the cable.

I also have a coax and a twin coax instrument cable. These are all used surplus cables I have lying around. I'm only trying to figure out which one to use.

Last edited by 4PLaY; 2nd August 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:41 PM   #29
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

depends on what you are trying to achieve...

unbalanced because one side is referred to ground...

balanced because the two wires are floating wrt to ground...

i assume that your dac have output buffers that are lowish in output impedance(less than 1000 ohms) and that your power amp has input impedance greater than 10k ohms..
so that if the length of your cable is just about a meter, then i suppose you can use a twisted pair....

but using a coax is always a good practice....
Old 3rd August 2013, 05:41 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

May sound ridiculous but the cables im making are about a foot long. And since i have everything i need for free im just gonna make both coax and twin. Try them out and see what the differences are. I don't think there will be a huge audible difference but what the hey. If the experience teaches me to solder then win win

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hide this!Advertise here!