What Cable is This? Wanna make interconnects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oh sure, if we are talking about coax that would be just stupid, but we were commenting on the cable posted, which has 4 conductors plus coax. my comments relate mainly to shielded twisted pair. saying to connect coax ground at one end only is totally insane.

A shield connected at one end will reduce hum by acting as an electrostatic screen. It won't stop RF, but if you wanted to stop RF you would use coax.

I thought it was the other way round. It will stop RF, which is electric field. But to stop hum, which is magnetic field, you need to connect both ends of the shield in order for the cancellation current to circle.

I thought it was the other way round. It will stop RF, which is electric field. But to stop hum, which is magnetic field, you need to connect both ends of the shield in order for the cancellation current to circle.
RF is electromagnetic, so can be picked up from either field. The twisting, if done properly, will reduce magnetic pickup. As the signal is not balanced there is still the possibility of electric field pick up which the shield will stop.

Hum fields can be electric or magnetic.

However, my advice is to use cable which matches the connections at each end. If unbalanced, like RCA, use coax. If balanced then use shielded twisted pair.

Does having balanced and unbalanced connections have anything to do with the type of equipment used (e.g. USBDAC to AMP)? or just the input output ports (e.g. RCA, XLR,)?

Does it mean that since I'm using RCA connectors, this means I have unbalanaced connections already therefore I should just use COAX? Then if so, what is the advantage or disadvantage with using shielded twisted pairs on RCA interconnects?

Why not just buy these "SWAN" brand twin coax from DEECO and be done with it?
no need to whack your brain over some copper wires wrapped in plastic, it tell you and many here will agree, there is no magic in those.....:D
FWIW, these "SWAN" cables are japan made, i was told...

Seems you know exactly what these are AJT. :) this is also a SWAN and it is a twin coax. It also does say "made in japan" printed on the cable. :D

I also have a coax and a twin coax instrument cable. These are all used surplus cables I have lying around. I'm only trying to figure out which one to use. :)

Last edited:
depends on what you are trying to achieve...

unbalanced because one side is referred to ground...

balanced because the two wires are floating wrt to ground...

i assume that your dac have output buffers that are lowish in output impedance(less than 1000 ohms) and that your power amp has input impedance greater than 10k ohms..
so that if the length of your cable is just about a meter, then i suppose you can use a twisted pair....

but using a coax is always a good practice....

May sound ridiculous but the cables im making are about a foot long. And since i have everything i need for free im just gonna make both coax and twin. Try them out and see what the differences are. I don't think there will be a huge audible difference but what the hey. If the experience teaches me to solder then win win :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

buy a ready made one, thats my suggestion ...

correct impedance data cable of any quality isnt really available in small amounts anywhere. some of the ethernet cable will 'work' at 100Ω, which fits within the +/-10% tolerance kinda, but there are better ways to spend your time/money if you dont have that already. spend your time building something more useful IMO instead of chasing ghosts with a fishnet.

There isn't any ready made usb cable with external DC available anywhere here in the philippines. Look, I'm a huge skeptic in what is usually marketed as "high-end" cables. so much more with USB being an IT guy myself, I have my reasons for wanting to make this cable. So there, I just wondering if maybe it could be good, and I got my answer. On the other hand I have tons of different types of CAT5 CAT6 solid core, stranded core etc. So maybe I could start there now. :D

Thank you.

I think I would cut the outer casing off. I would pull the wires out and then twist two of them up for an interconnect. I wouldnt run two signals right next to each other. There is nothing wrong with the wire you showed us, its just a pain to work with having 5 conductors so strip the good stuff out of it and use that.

Oh, sorry udailey I've already moved on to not using this cable for interconnects anymore and instead to just use a regular coax and a twin coax like AJT suggested. in separate sets ofcourse. :) I wondered instead if I could use it for USB, but then qusp tied it around my neck instead. LoL :D

Well, I think it would be fine for USB. Get out your DMM and measure resistance from one end of a usb cable to the other. I bet its not even ONE OHM.
When manufacturers talk about 75Ohm impedance they dont mean a 3 ft piece of copper has 75Ohms. For a 1 meter piece of copper to have 75 ohms of DC resistance, not AC, it needs to be .017mm in diameter. Kind of tiny. AC would be a bit larger but not a lot. The manufacturers are talking about the impedance of 1000ft of the cable. Thats the standard. Your USB sockets dont care about the resistance of the one meter cable as long as its low low low. If you want to build your own USB cable just do it. I did it and it works fine. Used silver for no good reason other than it was on the table.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.