1590E Power Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
KJ5555 is offline KJ5555  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 1590E Power Amplifier

Trying to build this but when I model it on Multisim, dozens of resistors are burning up. The only thing I can think of is that the step-up transformer at the output is causing it. Almost all the resistors near the transformer is burning up and a few in the middle of the circuit are too.

I have measured the resistance of the terminals of the transformer and there is very little resistance. I am pretty sure I have got the right turns ratio.

Does anyone have an idea as to why all these resistors may be burning up in my model?

As a reference:

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...90E-Manual.pdf
Old 5th August 2013, 11:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I still have 4 from the old cleveland stadium. They are monsters. Make sure you are strapping the output trans correctly. Not sure how that works in a modeling program. I have the original schematics and parts list if you want it. The only problem I have ever had with these (in real life) is the volume pot going bad and serious clipping distortion til they were replaced.
Old 6th August 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Build it?

Or build a model of it?

Not sure what the purpose might be?

You can substitute a pair of resistors (assuming a grounded CT on the primary, didn't look) for the transformer at the output.

Perhaps your feedback loop is causing it to be an oscillator?

_-_-
Old 12th August 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
KJ5555 is offline KJ5555  United States
diyAudio Member

I managed to stop blowing up the resistors, thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!