Rectifiers, DC Supplies, Regulators and the like

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, so hope this does not annoy any-one.

Anyway, I have a PSU for my turnatable, a Pink Triangle Anniversay which has a DC motor. PT used to be able to upgrade to run the TT from lead acid batteries, but have now ceased trading.

The lay out of the standard PSU is 18V AC into a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and then to a voltage regulator and associated resistors which seems to have an output of about 2.2 - 2.5V DC.

Is there ANY problem with using a DC source through the rectifier, as this seems to be the easiest way to convert the PSU to a battery PSU.

My idea is to connect a 12V lead acid battery to where the AC would nornally go in, minding that I have it connected correctly because I might blow the capacitor otherwise.

Also the regulator is an LM317T. I have read that there may be much better ones around. Can anyone suggest?

www.paulhynesdesign.co.uk have a replacement regulator and board and I wondered if anyone out there might have an idea as to what it is and would I have to change the resistors as well.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.