Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2003, 04:42 PM   #1
kimwong is offline kimwong  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Rectifiers, DC Supplies, Regulators and the like

Hello Folks

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, so hope this does not annoy any-one.

Anyway, I have a PSU for my turnatable, a Pink Triangle Anniversay which has a DC motor. PT used to be able to upgrade to run the TT from lead acid batteries, but have now ceased trading.

The lay out of the standard PSU is 18V AC into a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and then to a voltage regulator and associated resistors which seems to have an output of about 2.2 - 2.5V DC.

Is there ANY problem with using a DC source through the rectifier, as this seems to be the easiest way to convert the PSU to a battery PSU.

My idea is to connect a 12V lead acid battery to where the AC would nornally go in, minding that I have it connected correctly because I might blow the capacitor otherwise.

Also the regulator is an LM317T. I have read that there may be much better ones around. Can anyone suggest?

www.paulhynesdesign.co.uk have a replacement regulator and board and I wondered if anyone out there might have an idea as to what it is and would I have to change the resistors as well.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kim

Hide this!Advertise here!