Nikko power amplifier alpha II relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
sorry for my bad english.
I have a Nikko power amplifier alpha II (vintage amp - late 1970).
I need to replace the relay (the "click" is too small, does not reach the correct power at loudspeakers). Have you an idea of which relay i must buy?

Many thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Many relays can be opened up. Maybe worth looking at and seeing if the contacts can be cleaned.

To replace the relay you need to know the pin configuration and the electrical characteristic, the coil voltage and resistance.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You would have to measure the coil resistance and voltage across the coil when activated and then start looking for replacements based on that. If there is a drive fault to the relay then it may not be getting the correct voltage to pull in.

Do you have sound from the speakers ? If you do then the relay is at least closing. If you don't then it might be a power amp problem (dc offset) that is stopping the relay operating and its actually doing its job correctly.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That sounds like it needs proper tests to see whats going on (using a scope).

Are both channels the same ? You can prove if the relay is faulty by shorting it out but if you do then connect the speakers manually after switching on and disconnect them before switching off. Both channels though, well that doesn't really sound like the relay tbh.

It needs a proper tests with a known source :)

i will careful...having said that, i have a last minute update. I turn it off all!! With no music in play the right channel makes strange noises intermittent, with the Vu Meter right that rises and falls many time, alone, without any input...oh oh, it's better that i do not use anything?:eek:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its very difficult to say what is going on with it at a distance. Given the age of it you might have problems with old electrolytic capacitors having dried out, and problems with dry joints (poor soldering).

The only answer I'm afraid is to test it properly with a scope and signal source to determine what is happening.

The output relay is a very specific part and gives specific faults, but if you are doubtful over it then you have to eliminate it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.