Flat Wire Solutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am currently developing an electrostatic headphone and wanted to design a custom cable for signal and bias transfer. The recommended avenue previous companies and DIY'ers would use flat multi-conductor ribbon cable with the Stax connector. I want to go for a more simplified method that has even better capacitance numbers than the basic ribbon cable.

I would like to implement a style of "flat wire" that can handle the large voltage swings (at very very tiny current) as well as hold the 600v static bias without breaking down the insulation around it. This shouldn't be too big of a challenge.

There are some solutions out there right now that are ment for lower voltage solutions such as speaker cable, digital signals, and lighting. Typically all rated around 28 gauge? The zig-zag shape they have cuts down on space but has a few picofarads of capacitance per foot because of it (not so hot).
FlatWire Store sells flat wire for Audio, Video, Data & Lighting
http://www.taperwire.com/speakerwire.htm

Other DIY solutions is (1) get copper tape and do something creative with the insulation. (2) Get some foil inductor and take it apart to use their materials & insulation.

Has anybody been down this path before? Any advice on dielectrics and flat shaped things?

Attachments

• 2lane_scale.jpg
    2lane_scale.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4WIRE18GaugeFront__32982.1290442883.1280.1280.jpg
    4WIRE18GaugeFront__32982.1290442883.1280.1280.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 90
  • FLT_scale.jpg
    FLT_scale.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 87
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Cross coil-180.jpg
    Cross coil-180.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 89
  • D3S_4929-cable-1200.jpg
    D3S_4929-cable-1200.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.