Where to find those solder tag strips? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
giralfino's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Where to find those solder tag strips?

This is a question that was in my head for some long time.
If you look into this page (more or less in the middle), you can see the use of a solder tag strip for a crossover: CA18RNX
I can buy such a strip, but apart the obscene price for this simple item, I don't find it very useful because it is not easy to connect more that 2 wires together (look again at photo of the finished crossover).
I was thinking that something like this quick drawing could be more useful:
Click the image to open in full size.
Basically the base is non conductive, all the tags are connected together, but it is easy to remove one or more, so you'll have some series of tags connected: if you need for example to connect 3 wires together, and then also 4 other wires together, just use the first 3 tags, then remove the 4th, and use tag number 5 to 8 for the other connection.
Do such a strip exist? It could be very helpful for building a crossover.

Attached Images
File Type: png strip-tag.png (27.8 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by giralfino; 22nd June 2013 at 04:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
You can buy a dual in line (DIL) version of that first example.
It is most regularly used in Valve/Tube gear where they like to hardwire.
Cut it down the middle for single in line (SIL)
regards Andrew T.
Sent from my desktop computer using a keyboard
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
giralfino's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Do you have a link?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
the big electronic parts sellers should have lug-type terminal strips (in german: lötleiste ).........and probably tube parts sellers too....
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
giralfino's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
I think you all mean this: Tube-Town Online-Store - Lötleiste 2*10 Kontakte / 38 lo02-10
I've seen those strips, I think they are useful when you have to connect 2 (but no more) wires together. My question is still not answered: on a crossover is not too unusual to connect together 3 or more wires (I have an example of 5! I did it but was a PITA).

  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
KatieandDad's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Isn't it just easier to join the required number of tags together with a piece of reasonable gauge wire ?
Attached Images
File Type: png strip-tag.png (27.3 KB, 279 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:21 AM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
Join Date: Nov 2005
why use solder tags when solid copper wire is better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9196.JPG (330.8 KB, 283 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
Pano's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SW Florida
Blog Entries: 4
Would something like this do you?
Cinch 8 Lugs, 2 Ground Terminal Strip | 29F591 | Cinch

I use them all the time and they are cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
indianajo's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana USA
The advantage of the Cinch design is that they will hold off 450 V on adjacent terminals. Like a radial lead capacitor +, then two grounds together, then a plus of another capacitor, etc. I use the cinch design to replace $40 each 4 gang can caps with 4 each $3 radial lead caps, rated at up to 10000 hours service life instead of no life rating on the can caps.
Tubesandmore.com triodeelectronics.com and electronicsurplus.com have the cinch design, too.
Dynakit ST70, ST120, PAS2,Hammond H182(2 ea),H112,A100,10-82TC,Peavey CS800S,1.3K, SP2-XT's, T-300 HF Proj's, Steinway console, Herald RA88a mixer, Wurlitzer 4500, 4300
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Yes, plain old terminal strips like Pano's. Each terminal certainly holds more than 2 wires. They come in various lengths and numbers of terminals
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dots or strips for spacers? CharlieM Planars & Exotics 42 21st January 2017 12:59 PM
Group Buy - Ettinger Ceramic Standoffs, Ceramic Strips and Solder Tags herrstagl Group Buys 9 20th July 2013 12:36 PM
Any non Hi-Fi brand solder better than Mcap and Siltech silver solder? mbl Analogue Source 23 24th November 2010 03:13 PM
Why spacer strips and not dots? Penguin87 Planars & Exotics 5 7th October 2010 08:50 PM
Where Do You Buy Your Terminal Strips? sdclc126 Multi-Way 5 5th June 2007 01:35 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2