Ugly Retail Preamp Cases vs What We Really Want

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the past decade I've been waiting for the DIY case makers to bring something attractive to the market for us DIYers. After all the work we go through to make it sound great, there should have been some better looking cases and chassis available by now. The manufacturers of the currently available cases may wonder why sales are slow and after speaking with some of them over the past year, I have shared why their designs don't sell.

This IS NOT what we want. It is devoid of any taste, originality and overall looks cheap:

images

Below shows what we hope for. Notice the curves, clean lines, real veneers, matte sandblast finish and sealed anodized finish. In addition to this, provisions for up to four knobs (two large, two small) opens doors to customers who need more controls for secondary functions. Notice what makes most of these attractive is their sophisticated simplicity. The more complex model with the meter makes another interesting point, as meters hold merit for those who wish to monitor tube biasing or output VU at an instant. While this case may be a bit difficult to produce, a scaled down provision for meters is very possible. It would also be nice to see preamps with frontal windows for those who use tubes:

raysonic_preamp-141-675-450-90(2).jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dan-dagostino-new-preamplifier-sonus-faber-test-reviw-highend-burmester-mbl-momentum.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

forma_arte_audio_pearl_preamplifier_highend_test_review_matej_isak_monoandstereo.jpg

Last edited:
Don't wait on someone else, just go custom! I've never seen an off the shelf case I like either, so for my latest few projects I've designed my own cases. You don't need a whole lot of skills or tools either, I sent all of mine out to be manufactured, it's not hard to find places that do sheetmetal, machining, linishing, anodising etc.

You have to design it yourself...

I think the problem with the available cases is that they are designed for no-one. They are generic, and therefore tend to be boring or gratuitous.

The best solution (in my view) is to look at the thing you're enclosing, think about where you will situate it, what it goes with, how you want to interact with it, and what materials you have.

The enclosure I'm happiest with is the one I created for my F4 from plywood, an aluminum door extrusion, and some redwood scraps (oh, and a couple of big heatsinks!).

I like it because it speaks to the idea of making, rather than to the idea of manufacturing. It seems more personal to me. It's also cheap!

tim

Attachments

• F4 _4_.jpg
    F4 _4_.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 264
Very cool, timbarnes. I agree completely and that is part of why I like to build my own gear. Having a chassis and faceplate made, however, isn't so much a matter of cost but rather, ability. The businesses in my area are not skilled in metals finishing.

I would purchase, as it would be perfect for what I need but I cannot read Japanese. So close!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Below shows what we hope for. Notice the curves, clean lines, real veneers, matte sandblast finish and sealed anodized finish. In addition to this, provisions for up to four knobs (two large, two small) opens doors to customers who need more controls for secondary functions. Notice what makes most of these attractive is their sophisticated simplicity. The more complex model with the meter makes another interesting point, as meters hold merit for those who wish to monitor tube biasing or output VU at an instant. While this case may be a bit difficult to produce, a scaled down provision for meters is very possible. It would also be nice to see preamps with frontal windows for those who use tubes...
So you want two large knobs, two small knobs, one meter, windows for tubes, anodizing and veneer, and sophisticated lines and curves? Anything else? How about some buttons or a headphone jack, maybe even a display? How much are willing to pay for this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.