T33 SP1210 for Kef C60's HELP.! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default T33 SP1210 for Kef C60's HELP.!

Hi guys,

I realise this is probably a real nubie question, but I thought I'd throw it your way anyway.

I have recently come into contact with my fathers old C60's (rose wood finish).

They are a lovely sounding speaker, except the high end on one seems to be about 6dB quieter than the other. My immediate thought was to try and source a pair of replacement tweeters, but after ringing KEF I was informed it would cost close to 200.!

Can anyone give me any suggestions on both...

Is it likely to be the tweeter, could it be the crossover..?

Can you suggest a different replacement tweeter that would fit in the KEF tweeter housing.?

Does anyone have a matched pair of T33 SP1210's for sale in or around london for a fairer price.?

Many Thanks
Isaac
Old 5th June 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

One way to determine if it is the tweeter or the crossover is to swap the tweeters over. If the problem follows the tweeter then it is the problem, if it doesn't then your crossover is suspect

Tony.
Old 5th June 2013, 01:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ha,

of course, I'll try that this evening. Fingers crossed it is just a case of replacing the tweeters.... Any thoughts on replacements.?
Old 5th June 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
just another
diyAudio Moderator

It's probably better if it is a crossover problem in all honesty! If it is an issue with the crossover it is probably a problematic resistor or capacitor. This will be much easier to replace like for like than swapping a tweeter.

The problem with swapping in a different tweeter is you have all sorts of issues with matching the sensitivity and impedance (not to mention phase and general spl curve). If they are not close it will throw out the crossover.

A quick google search on the tweeter model turned up this thread. Help me pick a replacement tweeter! (KEF 107) - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!