DIY Aluminum Case - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
WagBoss is offline WagBoss  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Aluminum Case

I searched around for a while and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know of any guides or build threads or anything that would help me with designing/building a DIY aluminum case for a power amplifier?
Old 4th June 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you want to DIY a chassis, look on youtube for "metal brake" -- if you're just starting out it makes a lot of sense to make a drawing of the chassis on a sheet of paper (i.e. in one plane) and fold it up to see how the parts go together. Easiest is to make a clam-shell of two pieces which will fit together.

You can also DIY heat sinks with a metal brake.
Old 4th June 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have built several DIY Aluminum Chassis ..... I generally use 1/2in aluminum plate for the sides and 1/16in sheet for the top , bottom, front and back ..... I just drilled the holes and used self tapping screws to secure the top , bottom , front and back to the 1/2in sides which can also double as heatsinks ...

I get the metal shop to cut the sizes that I need and do the drilling and assembly at home ...... The last one I built was 6in tall, 10in deep and 19in wide and cost me about $60 and about an hour for assembly and is stronger and more durable than most any pre-built chassis I have seen ......

Cheers
Old 4th June 2013, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

what grade aluminum? I want to brush it. I can get:

2024T3
3003H14
5052H32
6061T6
7075T6
Old 4th June 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
I have built several DIY Aluminum Chassis ..... I generally use 1/2in aluminum plate for the sides and 1/16in sheet for the top , bottom, front and back ..... I just drilled the holes and used self tapping screws to secure the top , bottom , front and back to the 1/2in sides which can also double as heatsinks ...

I get the metal shop to cut the sizes that I need and do the drilling and assembly at home ...... The last one I built was 6in tall, 10in deep and 19in wide and cost me about $60 and about an hour for assembly and is stronger and more durable than most any pre-built chassis I have seen ......

Cheers
what metal shop did you go to?
Old 4th June 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post
what grade aluminum? I want to brush it. I can get:

2024T3
3003H14
5052H32
6061T6
7075T6
20 series is very pure aluminum, it can be bent without crazing and is soft. Not ideal for drilling and tapping if you want it to hold threads though many unscreweings and screwings.
30 and 50 I dunno.
60 series is 6% chromium. Excellent for everything except bending. It will machine like butter, hold threads and can be welded. Great for nearly all aluminum applications.
70 is 15% chromium. Harder than 60 but still machines and everything else beautifully. Cant be bent or welded. I've seen it welded, but I've also heard it depends a lot on luck.

All of them will polish and what not, 20 will just polish in seconds and 70 will take more arm effort.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 4th June 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

The face plate of a phase linear 400 is closer to 60 from my touch and feel, most vintage amps like pioneer etc are also 60 if I was to guess.
The abundance of 20 series is a relatively recent phenomenon. 20 also gets the highest prices due to purity. I'd say screw it and use 60. Common, cheaper and really strong. Or 70 if its the same $. In my hood 70 is pricier, 20 even more, 60 is the cheapest.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 4th June 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's what Krohn Hite used to hold their chassis together:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th June 2013, 05:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

One question you need to ask yourself is do you want it to work as an RFI and EMI shield for your circuit? Another question is do you want to minimize the number of tools you need to make it?
Old 4th June 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Here's what Krohn Hite used to hold their chassis together:
You can buy similar quality from Par-Metal.

Hide this!Advertise here!