DIY Aluminum Case - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2013, 10:58 PM   #21
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post
what metal shop did you go to?
The shop I go to I believe is called "The Metal Supermarkets" , I believe they have chains across the US and Canada and do internet orders .....

Google it ....

Cheers
Old 4th June 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Peter Daniel describes how he builds a chassis here: The way to build a chassis
Old 5th June 2013, 12:08 AM   #23
WagBoss is offline WagBoss  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
It is wonderful when folks without a clue offer advice.

2024T3 is the old aircraft standard for aluminum. Today it is used mostly for keys. It will polish up quite nicely.

3003H14 is crap. It is the cheapest sheet aluminum and is usually sold in rolls. Useful for flashing and decorative uses. The lowest strength on the list.

5052H32 is the standard for sheet metal use. It forms well but does form small cracks on tight bends. it is the material of choice for decent quality sheet metal.

6061T6 is the work horse of aluminum alloys. It welds well is decent at machining, but a bit gummy, so use a lubricant such as Tap-free for aluminum to keep it from sticking to your tool bits and slowing things up.

7075T6 is the stuff they really build airplane parts out of. It is the strongest and most expensive. It with a bit of effort will take a shine and look like chrome.

So use either 5052 or 6061.

Anodizing is a nice way to finish aluminum. If you are bolting the pieces you can use a bit of lye in water to remove the anodizing where you want electrical contact.

There are other finishing processes that leave a conductive surface, but they are not very common these days and a bit expensive.

The easiest way is to use an aluminum top plate and wood sides.

RFI is a problem with bipolar junction transistors, not so much tubes or FETs.

For a 19" panel 1/8" is the minimum thickness for looks 3/16" or 1/4" is better. 1/16 or .062 is fine for small chassis, but for larger ones or to support a heavy transformer go for .080." or there abouts.

Steel is a bad idea. You can actually measure the distortion introduced into an audio signal line when it is routed close to a steel chassis.

ES
Thank you very much. very informative. Hmm my transformers probably >10 lbs so maybe I should go with like 1/8"..
Old 5th June 2013, 12:15 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Peter Daniel describes how he builds a chassis here: The way to build a chassis
I don't understand where he is finding all the aluminum pieces
Old 5th June 2013, 02:21 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
The shop I go to I believe is called "The Metal Supermarkets" , I believe they have chains across the US and Canada and do internet orders .....

Google it ....

Cheers
Yeah that's what I've been looking at too. Pretty good prices

what did you do for feet?
Old 5th June 2013, 02:25 AM   #26
Fusor is offline Fusor  United States
diyAudio Member

Look in your yellow pages or web search your city 'metal fabrication'. They will cut aluminum panels, el's, square tubing. Ask to raid their scrap bin. Usually much cheaper than web stores.
Old 5th June 2013, 02:37 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

what do you guys think of using this as the case? SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- GD06
Old 5th June 2013, 04:30 AM   #28
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

FWIW I have been making my amp chassis since forever (1969).

Always aluminum, hate iron for all the extra work it needs, including sanding/filing rough edges and burrs, anti-oxidation treatment , etc.

In the beginning, I had flat sheet cut and bent at some fabricator's, everything else was drills, Greenlee punches and filing.

I chemically treated surface to get good paint adhesion, and started silkscreening.

Later I bought punchers and dies, which allow holes of any shape (rectangular rocker switches, slots for slide pots, etc.) plus cutting perfect, almost burr less holes.

Even later, bought my own shear and folder to be able to work at a Pro level, at home, and finally got an Aluminum processor to make custom sheets for me, in a size where I have no waste and in the metal hardness I need.

Some examples:

1) a 1972 200W Power Amp (still working weekly ); vendor cut and bent 2mm aluminum, all round (drill) holes, printed paper panel behing 2mm acrylic:

Click the image to open in full size.

2) home cutting custom 43cm x 1 m x 1.5mm aluminum sheet, with an old shear bought as scrap:

3) bending aluminum , press folder also bought as scrap but added custom made "V" blocks, allow sharp or rounded bending:

4) Full homemade rack cabinet (meaning I started with a flat sheet of metal, not just drilled a pre-made cabinet):

In Stadium use, among some distinguished friends (the top siver one is also mine) :

When I say Stadium, I refer to this:

5) silkscreening panels:

6) some end product panels and chassis:

As you can see, aluminum is a *very* flexible material, and allows Pro results with inexpensive tools.
Old 5th June 2013, 05:29 AM   #29
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah that's what I've been looking at too. Pretty good prices

what did you do for feet?
I used the rubber feet from an old stereo and attached them to the bottom ....
Old 5th June 2013, 01:35 PM   #30
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Scrap yard

Quote:
I don't understand where he is finding all the aluminum pieces
Hey every town in america has a scrap metal place. Find it. You'd find they sell metal by weight. I pay 1.75 a lb for aluminum @ a place called Foils (yea I know they sell only tin foil is the joke) in harrisburg NC. Alcoa and a 100 others are in every city in america.

You may have to recognize and buy, cos usually they dont have it rated properly. But 6061 and 2024 dominate the aluminum market. You like diamond plate in your amp = easy easy - its usually 6061 and shiny to start with and near freaking indestructible.

Feet - lots of machinery and tool stores have feet in their catalogs. I paid $5 for a baggie full - like 20+.

Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!